Untitled Star Wars Trilogy (Rian Johnson)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:Another trilogy set in this tiny, repetitive universe. I can't ignore the feeling that this announcement was just to get people to watch Star Wars 8 because Disney can always change their mind about this directorial choice if Star Wars 8 underperforms with regards to their expectations. If Kathleen Kennedy has shown us anything about Lucasfilm and Disney, it's that no director's irreplaceable.
Another post from this tiny and repitive minded user. I can’t ignore the feeling this post was a troll post just to get attention. People can always change their mind about you being a troll. No troll is irreplaceable.
My observation is simple: they have fired directors before, even after they had been announced to direct for a while. What makes this any different, given that the executives who decided to part ways with said directors are still working at Lucasfilm and Disney? Nothing is set in stone at any time because the studio execs can always decide that the director's vision does not match their own and then it's 'bye-bye Johnson'....because Disney is run by greedy control freaks (case in point: the L.A. Times debacle).

Also, what from any of the two Star Wars films we have been given so far gives you the impression that this new trilogy will be radically (or even any) different from what we've seen before? They need to demonstrate that to me first and until they do (meaning: until the films have actually come out), this is how I'm going to approach any news related to any Disney film: with the cynicism that I feel the studio's approach to filmmaking has well earned from me.

m4st4 wrote:I feel like only us gamers truly want Old Republic.

In reality we might get a location jump only, like far far away, in Delta quadrant.
Well the benefit of the Old Republic would be that it takes place in an even longer time ago... I wouldn't want another First Order set location.

I couldn't be more excited for this. So many possibilities.

DoubleD wrote:I couldn't be more excited for this. So many possibilities.
So many risks with these many possibilities, hence why the studio will likely not go into any uncharted territory with the story, despite Star Wars' popularity.

Batfan175 wrote:
So many risks with these many possibilities, hence why the studio will likely not go into any uncharted territory with the story, despite Star Wars' popularity.
I know I don't post a lot, but jesus christ please take your negative, repetitive bullshit elsewhere. No one enjoys you constantly taking the wind out of everything's sails just for the sake of it. Maybe you should take a few risks by not being a pessimistic ass. I can't be the only one who logs on and is immediately tired of seeing your brand of criticism on every. single. thread you post to.

This news is so exciting. Rian is so talented, the franchise is doing well but needs some different, unpredictable concepts to shake it up. GREAT news all around. Best decision they could have made.

Nolanoscopy wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
I know I don't post a lot, but jesus christ please take your negative, repetitive bullshit elsewhere. No one enjoys you constantly taking the wind out of everything's sails just for the sake of it. Maybe you should take a few risks by not being a pessimistic ass. I can't be the only one who logs on and is immediately tired of seeing your brand of criticism on every. single. thread you post to.
Hush now, the black void awaits: perpetual superhero films, perpetual Star Wars in a "culture" ruled by the almighty and terrible Disney corporation, our saviour, our curse. Consumption eternal, mediocrity and novelty indivisible. Welcome to hell, welcome to your life...

...is what I would say if I were just some edgelord pessimist. See, I can make my disdain somewhat amusing.

I merely took people's advice to heart: I considered the business side of things and now all can I see is corporate boardrooms, boardrooms everywhere!

I know this news is exciting for some but I'm really feeling like Disney is churning these out too much. Feels like this should have been announced after the current trilogy is finished.

darthnazgul wrote:I know this news is exciting for some but I'm really feeling like Disney is churning these out too much. Feels like this should have been announced after the current trilogy is finished.
100% agreed. Although it does make me (even) more confident in TLJ. Kennedy and Rian obviously clicked.

I wonder whether this will receive any backlash from the fandom now.