The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
September 6th, 2022, 4:10 am
Missed opportunity to name this show "The Ring Awakens".

The reason they picked the 2nd age over the 1st, despite the latter having so many more canon stories and characters that they could have used, is very simple. They needed characters from the 3rd age for nostalgia's sake. But that wasn't enough, the new characters and their relationships should also very much reminisce the popular LotR characters. With some gender and race swapping thrown in for good measure. That will surely make it different enough.

You liked the banter between Legolas and Gimli? We have some of that going on. Aragorn and Arwen's taboo romance was ship worthy? We have more of that for you too. In Jackson's films, it was Gandalf going around warning people of the rising darkness that they had become complacent towards. We definitely need to start with that, just give that role to Galadriel. I'm not even going to get into the Harfoot thing.

Drinking competition turns into hammering competition. Fight with a cave troll, that was a classic, we change it into Snow Troll this time.

Now it makes perfect sense why these showrunners with practically zero resume were lobbied by J.J. Abrams. They speak each other's language.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you, although for some reason this aspect of the first two episodes didn't bother me that much. I'm a little bit afraid of what's to come, as in one promo they showed some sort of sexual tension growing between Galadriel and that run-of-the-mill white guy, and I'm reeeeeeally, really not looking forward to that. I hope this won't turn into The Hobbit - The TV Series...

Just when I thought I could not possibly encounter a more stupid series final than the one for She-Hulk in some time, here comes this piece of hot garbage.

This show shits on Galadriel and
Sauron
in ways that I never imagined would be possible. The former being the biggest fool in all the land and the latter turns out to be the luckiest bastard who has ever lived.

And those forced
Gandalf
nostalgia quotes. My god these showrunners have no shame.

I have not watched the show but is it true that
they didn't even bother with the forging of the Nine and the Seven and that the Three are just forged in about 10 minutes when it takes about 90 years in the source material?

I have to be honest, I kinda lost interest in this series by episode 7... I still haven't seen both that and the last one, and I even went as far as to read the plot description for them instead. I feel a bit of guilt, but then again, I don't want to force myself through two hours of TV just because "I should".

I did not dislike this show that much, and I definitely didn't have that sort of toxic hostility toward it - if anything, the supposedly controversial casting choices were none my concern. Instead, the whole thing just felt too "civilian" for me, and lacked the airy, out-of-this-world epic quality that made the PJ trilogy so memorable. The world of Tolkien yearns for that approach, and I'm just not sure the TV format does justice to it. The show looked fantastic, I loved certain characters, but as it went along, I couldn't help but feel that this is more or less high-budget fan fiction. And I don't mind bending the lore, but when you know there's little detail when it comes to certain aspects and eras of this fantasy universe, you feel like maybe it shouldn't be adapted as a TV series.

LOTR is a 1000-page long novel with intricacies, details, full-fledged dialogue, it's the perfect basis for an adaptation. When you bend the lore or the actual plot there, you understand that it is for cinematic reasons. But here, you aren't even sure what the lore is supposed to be, because it isn't a fully written novel. And I'm really not interested in the writing of Amazon Prime filmmakers. I'm interested in Tolkien.

So, after all, I might end up watching the last two episodes, but sadly I lost interest. Even if it had really interesting ideas. I liked The Stranger (or Meteor Man), but I really don't get how it's possible that he appears if he really is what they are implying here. And I like the idea of what they did with our main antagonist, but it still feels a bit too... TV for me.

I don’t give a shit what anyone says, I really enjoyed this show. Is it perfect? No. Is it the films? Of course fuckin not. Did I nearly get moved to tears and get chills during this show? Hell fuckin yeah I did.

I was bored to tears and stopped, but that's just my opinion. I'm happy for those who enjoyed it.

The more i think about the finale, the more i realize it's not good.

What even was
Sauron's plan?

To put himself in Galadriel's path hoping Numenorean will save them both, and she along with all the leaders of Numenor will believe that he is the lost heir of Southland without any evidence other than a piece of garbage that he carries? And then hopefully he somehow ends up in Eregion right as they are making the Three Rings?

Was there even a plan or did everything just aligned perfectly for him every step of the way? And the supposedly master manipulator was just riding the tides of fortune all along. Did someone else just masterminded the process of activating Mount Doom for him right when he needed it to craft the One Ring?

All this meaningless nonsense just for the sake of making a twist that everyone saw from a mile away.
And Galadriel, let's forget about all her prior stupidity and misplaced arrogance.
Having figured out very late that Halbrand might be the Dark Lord, She encounters him all alone and fails to stop him of course, but then hides the truth from her comrades, knowing full well that the three rings will be under his influence now. Who does this to their lead character?
Nori, Arondir and Elrond are likeable leads at least but they are placed in storylines so stretched that they feel like "butter scraped over too much bread". It didn't feel like anywhere near 8 hours of story, what these characters went through.
And Gandalf is brought in, long before the time he's supposed to show up in the Third Age, because we need more familiar characters and also more suspects for Sauron mystery bullshit.

The great Valar have sent one of their Istari too early with a blank mind, not knowing quite what his mission is, just to wander around the land hoping for him to get lucky and not get killed or corrupted. Makes a lot of sense.

This show understands the tone/feel of how to do a LOTR show. It also has a basic understanding of what story directions to take the show in.

Unfortunately, it has no idea how to be an effective long-form narrative.