The Great Gatsby (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Not trying to hate on Affleck but thank god he did not play Tom even though I thought he had the right qualities for it. He is simply not capable of the character acting that Edgerton displayed. That was the same dude from Warrior? :shock: Impressive.

Seeing this tomorrow. Let's see how good it turns out to be.

Alberto wrote:Seeing this tomorrow. Let's see how good it turns out to be.
So far everyone on NF's really liked it except nowwhereamI? who hates all Baz films. Hope you enjoy it! The 3D is brilliant.

Allstar wrote:
So far everyone on NF's really liked it except nowwhereamI? who hates all Baz films. Hope you enjoy it! The 3D is brilliant.
Yeah, I reckon I'll like it as well. Will share my thoughts tomorrow.

Allstar wrote:
Where would Di Caprio's performance rank in his all time for you?

Dream-Xtractor wrote:
Allstar wrote: So far everyone on NF's really liked it except nowwhereamI? who hates all Baz films. Hope you enjoy it! The 3D is brilliant.
Where would Di Caprio's performance rank in his all time for you?
Oh god. It is so hard to say, the guy has so many amazing performances imo. I had trouble deciding what my top 5 favorite are before I saw this film. :lol: All I will say is I think he gives a amazing performance that is so different from any of his others. That is 2 in a row you can say that now, it is amazing that the guy is actually getting better. Cannot fucking wait for Wolf.

Also to say more about the film itself, I am kind of baffled by the mixed reviews yet I somewhat understand as Baz's style is not for everyone (I even took a few issues at parts in particular something I mentioned in my review but I just look at that as a nitpick) and he took a lot of risks in this film. It is a beautiful looking film, literally jaw dropping at parts, the 3D blew me away. While some critics say it is "style over substance" I call that nonsense, this movie has a heart and soul along with this incredible style. It is quite emotional at parts for me while being a terrific piece of sheer entertainment. The more it sits with the more and more I like it. All I can say is if anyone liked the trailers see this with no hesitation in 3D and I would be shocked if you did not enjoy it.

I believe that Fitzgerald is the greatest American writer, an artist who used words the way Mozart used notes, or Monet used his paints. I believe that The Great Gatsby is the definitive American Novel, for now and likely always. In it, Fitzgerald sits at the top of his game, using his words to drag us into a world along with his narrator. He recognizes the paradox that insists that larger than life characters, when crafted well, are the only characters that truly meet us on our level. It is the one work where Fitzgerald doesn't hide behind his words, he uses them to so sharply define a generation that he ends up defining some of the deepest parts of human nature. In short, I love The Great Gatsby.

What else do I believe?
That Baz Lurhmann, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Joel Edgerton, and the lovely Dai...I mean Carey Mulligan have created the definitive version of Fitzgerald's masterpiece. This movie is near flawless, in my eyes. Many of the fears I had about the film- the modern music, for instance- or the over the top visual stylings, serve to pull the viewer into the rich world, rather than merely bring it off of the page.

Leo? For any other actor this would be a career defining performance. He has raised the bar for himself with this one, although I feel that he almost makes this outstanding performance look easy...because he is Jay Gatsby.

I also don't understand the criticisms regarding Maguire as Carraway. He rises to the level of his Pussy Posse buddy and becomes his character....

as do Edgerton and Mulligan. George Martin had it 100% right when he said that it is easy to understand how Gatsby falls for her.

I'm not a fan of rating movies, but since it's accepted practice, I'm going to give this one an A.

Sandy wrote:I believe that Fitzgerald is the greatest American writer, an artist who used words the way Mozart used notes, or Monet used his paints. I believe that The Great Gatsby is the definitive American Novel, for now and likely always. In it, Fitzgerald sits at the top of his game, using his words to drag us into a world along with his narrator. He recognizes the paradox that insists that larger than life characters, when crafted well, are the only characters that truly meet us on our level. It is the one work where Fitzgerald doesn't hide behind his words, he uses them to so sharply define a generation that he ends up defining some of the deepest parts of human nature. In short, I love The Great Gatsby.

What else do I believe?
That Baz Lurhmann, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Joel Edgerton, and the lovely Dai...I mean Carey Mulligan have created the definitive version of Fitzgerald's masterpiece. This movie is near flawless, in my eyes. Many of the fears I had about the film- the modern music, for instance- or the over the top visual stylings, serve to pull the viewer into the rich world, rather than merely bring it off of the page.

Leo? For any other actor this would be a career defining performance. He has raised the bar for himself with this one, although I feel that he almost makes this outstanding performance look easy...because he is Jay Gatsby.

I also don't understand the criticisms regarding Maguire as Carraway. He rises to the level of his Pussy Posse buddy and becomes his character....

as do Edgerton and Mulligan. George Martin had it 100% right when he said that it is easy to understand how Gatsby falls for her.

I'm not a fan of rating movies, but since it's accepted practice, I'm going to give this one an A.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great review old sport!

Glad to see a lot of us are really taking to the film. I'm trying to convince some friends to see it as well as my girlfriend (who like me doesn't put the novel on a pedestal), but the contemporarily stylings are shying them away.

While I absolutely agree it represents the definitive cinematic adaptation at this point, I can't imagine Baz's film making sense to anyone seeing it in twenty or thirty years.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:I can't imagine Baz's film making sense to anyone seeing it in twenty or thirty years.

-Vader
I forgot this point in my review. That's the strength and weakness of the style he chose.