The Great Gatsby (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
turd-alert
I will never understand why people care for Luhrmann's over-stylization and complete lack of subtlety or emotional weight. The crying stuff in the trailer UUGGGHH. Some pretty images, sure, but its all surface and shallowness. This trailer remindes me of why tim burton fell of a cliff (hint; CGI)

Man of Steel, Hangover, Pacific Rim, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug better all do gazillions of dollars at the BO, cause WB is having a very poor year indeed :eh:
@sammyjankis88

Then you don't understand a lot about movies then.

This is his style, each director has his own style, that doesn't make it wrong or anything, just different. Some people care about the overstylization (as you say) because a lot actually think this looks great, and it does.

The content should be here, (lol it's based on a fricking book), but movie can also be visual wonders without a conventional content (see Malick).

Jax_Teller wrote:Then you don't understand a lot about movies then.

This is his style, each director has his own style, that doesn't make it wrong or anything, just different. Some people care about the overstylization (as you say) because a lot actually think this looks great, and it does.

The content should be here, (lol it's based on a fricking book), but movie can also be visual wonders without a conventional content (see Malick).
lol

No one is denying that it's his style. At least I'm not. I simply just didn't like the trailer. It didn't do anything for me. And to say that we don't understand movies is just laughable.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

Jax_Teller wrote:Then you don't understand a lot about movies then.

take this, quick

EDIT: And i dunno, i guess it looks interesting to me because i've long ago lowered my expectations for this so right now i'm just expecting some good dumb melodrama in the 7-8 bracket

Hum, hello?

I was responding to Robin's idiotic message saying that he doesnt understand why people like Lurhmann's overstylization.

Jax_Teller wrote:Hum, hello?

I was responding to Robin's idiotic message saying that he doesnt understand why people like Lurhmann's overstylization.
you dind't respond to what he actually meant and that is that Lurhman, like a lot of directors today including Burton on occasion, don't use overstylization in a way that'd enhance the substance of a film -> hence its shallowness and superficiality.

Ofc it sometimes enhances experience but even that's arguable when a lot of the visuals are bothered by ugly/distracting effects.

So in your response you never said how or why it's not shallow or superficial.

prince0gotham wrote:
Jax_Teller wrote:Hum, hello?

you dind't respond to what he actually meant and that is that Lurhman, like a lot of directors today including Burton on occasion, don't use overstylization in a way that'd enhance the substance of a film -> hence its shallowness and superficiality.

Ofc it sometimes enhances experience but even that's arguable when a lot of the visuals are bothered by ugly/distracting effects.

So in your response you never said how or why it's not shallow or superficial.
So this film is shallow? You guys don't like his style so you call it shallow or superficial. It's a fucking movie. They are all superficial in one way or another. You don't like this guys style cool. But others do. They don't have to defend their right to like something.. as much as you don't have to defend your right to dislike something.
Say Girl

But Jax was the one who said Robin is being idiotic and doesn't understand a lot about movies and you know he does. If you don't have to defend your right to dislike something, as you just said, blame Jaxx for telling that to Robin, don't blame me for explaining to Jaxx what Robin meant, which Jaxx never really disproved anyway.
So this film is shallow?
Don't know, but the increasing overuse of overstylization sure can be.
You guys don't like his style so you call it shallow or superficial.
I like parts of it as i said today, I know it can work sometimes and I know that a lot of the times it can't.

prince0gotham wrote:But Jax was the one who said Robin is being idiotic and doesn't understand a lot about movies and you know he does. If you don't have to defend your right to dislike something, as you just said, blame Jaxx for telling that to Robin, don't blame me for explaining to Jaxx what Robin meant, which Jaxx never really disproved anyway.
So this film is shallow?
Don't know, but the increasing overuse of overstylization sure can be.
You guys don't like his style so you call it shallow or superficial.
I like parts of it as i said today, I know it can work sometimes and I know that a lot of the times it can't.
It can't work for YOU. But what if it works for someone else? What if they really enjoy it all of it?
Say Girl

Lana Del Rey :clap: