2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
steveportee wrote:Because it is visually stunning. The music is terrific. It is very atmospheric. It has a sense of mystery. The premise of the story is really intriguing to me.
I find the slow pace of the movie to be relaxing actually. I'm not always in the mood for a high octane thriller. Sometimes I want something that I can sit back, watch, and just chill out.

And I love sci-fi that deals with outer space. These are a few of the many reasons why I love 2001 A Space Odyssey.

But the movie is not for everyone. There's no rule that you have to enjoy to movie. If you didn't like it, so what? Give it another try in a few years, and see what you think about it. If you still hate it, then move on. There are plenty of beloved movies that I don't care for too much.
Yup. I thought the slow pace worked really well. It would have been a completely different movie if that was different. You sit and watch all this unfold.

Watching HAL murder the astronaut on the spacewalk was chilling, because you hear him breathing for the entirety of the spacewalk and then the machine comes in, and for next few minutes, as he struggles it is completely silent. It's not spelled out for you by fast edits or dramatic camera angles or exciting music, but the ramifications are made very clear by the use of sound in juxtaposed scenes. The jump cut from the bone flying up and then the space missile floating down is also a beautifully (un)subtle touch, and says so much without complication.

I think it is amazing. Brilliantly intelligent Sci-Fiction.

I was 15 or 16 when I 1st saw this masterpiece and I was absolutely blown away by it. There's this incredible sense of wonder, I was fascinated and amazed by it eventhough I didnt fully get it. What did it all mean? I'd never seen a film that that, hell, I still havent!
{=}

It's the story of human evolution... that's what it means lol.

kanjisheik wrote:Eyes Wide Shut is quite underrated IMHO. I felt it gets better with repeat viewings. It's typical Kubrick with a capital K. Perhaps it gets slated so much because Tom Cruise played the lead...

Eyes Wide Shut is a pretty amazing thing..

It got trashed because it was too sexist like that INCREDIBLE BASIC INSTINCT... which is one of the finest thrillers I ever saw... but people trashed it because of the nudity which is boring and stupid..

RomanM wrote:It's the story of human evolution... that's what it means lol.
And that movie is just like evolution, sloooooow.

Art is different from entertainment, in order to really appreciate 2001: A Space Odyssey, you need to engage with it intellectively, spiritually, and emotionally. Rather than just sit back, relax and be "blown away by it"; I recommend you to take the opposite approach: lean forward (pause when necessary) to truly look for meanings in every single frame. Every frame here is done to perfection, often looks like a painting. What distinguishes this film from any other Sci-Fi/action is that it is a 'mystery', unlike a puzzle (i.e. Inception, The Prestige), it can't be figured out, therefore acknowledging what is unknowable and unpredictable in life.

Yes, many find it boring, tedious, or just plain dull. Guess what, if you are looking for satisfying entertainment, go elsewhere. As with any other Stanley Kubrick film, 2001 improves with age, the older you get, the more you'll understand from it. There is not much ambiguity in the 'plot', but the philosophical and allegorical meanings are behind the simple story that Hollywood often provides, they demand repeated viewings and patience.

To sum up, 2001 is a hugely ambitious, experimental, abstract and avant garde art. It demands viewers to take a very different approach from the one they are accustomed to taking. Regardless of what your perspective are, it is an optimistic, inspiring and most of all life-affirming film that provokes thoughts on what it means to be human, and what ultimately separates us from the machines.

(like the below abstract art by Jackson Pollock, 2001 represents the best art has has to offer, even though it doesn't always make sense logically.)

abstract. That's the word. Everyone gets something different from this movie, or nothing

#1fan wrote:I have watch this film numerous times and i have to say
i was bored by it!

could someone please help me understand why even today it is appreciated by the general pubic that it is fantastic?
keep in mind i am 15.
And I was 12 when I first saw it and it remains a top 3 on my favorite films list. I don't exactly think age has anything to do with it. I'll admit that when I first saw it I didn't understand, but what Kubrick was able to do with the tools at hand, the futuristic world he was able to create, but more impressively, the depth & mystery of the universe and existence is what drew me back again and again.

2001 never needed a fast pace or exciting characters & exposition in order to be great. It's a completely visual experience.

It's art... it's BEAUTY in terms of filmmaking and not only...

2001: A Space Odyssey & Blade Runner - Immortal films :geek: :geek: :geek: I just love these movies... there's no better word than love :oops: ...

and this beauty...

Funny how these words sums up what these movies are...