The Irishman (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:31 pm
sigh

May no one get a UTI from holding it in. I believe in all of you.
It’s alright, can take pause breaks with Netflix.

Allstar wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:45 pm
Artemis wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:31 pm
sigh

May no one get a UTI from holding it in. I believe in all of you.
It’s alright, can take pause breaks with Netflix.
I'm seeing it in theaters because i believe in myself

radewart wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 8:08 pm
I'm sorry that's too long. Longer doesn't always mean better. I love Scorsese, but both the "Silence" and even "Wolf of Wall Street" could of lost 30 mins to their benefit.

"Silence" probably could of lost closer to 50....
Except for the ending and some minor changes, Silence is a very faithful adaptation of the novel.

ThePhantomTerror wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 12:31 am
radewart wrote:
I'm sorry that's too long. Longer doesn't always mean better. I love Scorsese, but both the "Silence" and even "Wolf of Wall Street" could of lost 30 mins to their benefit.

Except for the ending and some minor changes, Silence is a very faithful adaptation of the novel.
Yea, but a movie doesn't have to be completely faithful adaptation to be good. Some of the best pick and choose the key aspects of the work.

silence is top 5 scorsese for me, so fight me.

-Vader

Scorsese films never ever drag (perhaps except Boxcar Bertha). So this is great news all-around.

I do mean to watch Silence again sometime because I was really underwhelmed by it the first time, so hopefully a rewatch raises it up.

But it wouldn't ever by top 5 for me, not with Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Mean Streets, and King of Comedy. Honorable mention to: Age of Innocennce and Cape Fear.

radewart wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 2:06 am
ThePhantomTerror wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 12:31 am
radewart wrote:

Yea, but a movie doesn't have to be completely faithful adaptation to be good. Some of the best pick and choose the key aspects of the work.
I don't disagree with this, but I also think that Silence is one of Scorsese's best.

Anyone who says it's too long hasn't read the book and doesn't trust Scorsese and Schoonmaker. The book is incredibly sprawling. We also know there are more than 300 scenes. It makes complete sense and for the Netflix detractors out there, it's clear that no other studio would have allowed him to put out a 175M 210 min long gangster epic. Praise the lord.

And yes, Silence is a masterpiece that is just the right length.

Jax_Teller wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 3:08 am
Anyone who says it's too long hasn't read the book and doesn't trust Scorsese and Schoonmaker. The book is incredibly sprawling. We also know there are more than 300 scenes. It makes complete sense and for the Netflix detractors out there, it's clear that no other studio would have allowed him to put out a 175M 210 min long gangster epic. Praise the lord.

And yes, Silence is a masterpiece that is just the right length.
Nobody here said it’s too long, we are surprised, well because this is the longest mainstream movie in two decades. We won’t know if it’s too long till we see it. I have faith in Scorsese and Thelma.