Person of Interest (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Great episode tonight. My game ball goes to Sarah Shahi here, her form of grieving is different from the norm, its sad and disturbing. Its like the words and emotions are there, but they aren't really there. It was so sad and hard to watch.

Sarah honestly gets my vote still for MVP of season 5... i don't who turned up the volume on Sarah ( who i always liked ) but damn.

"Rest in peace Coco Puffs" and Shaw at the playground...
:(

Jonah Nolan:
Didn't realise he's in this shot until now. lol

Havoc1st wrote:
"Rest in peace Coco Puffs" and Shaw at the playground...
:(

Jonah Nolan:
Didn't realise he's in this shot until now. lol
Shaw at the Playground... ugh would they do that to me. The playground of course in her mind represents a huge part of her connection to Root. Kind of like Shaw used the playground to escape the harsh realitys of what was happening for real.
I think the children spinning the Merry go round as she sits on it depressed makes it even more downright sad tbh. Sarah's performance this season on another level :cry: :cry:

Per 1st assistant director Kate Bogle, with regards to how the pieces with Finch talking to The Machine in Synecdoche were shot.
We have forced Amy into so many small spaces to deliver lines. She's there every scene.

ChrisTilford wrote:Per 1st assistant director Kate Bogle, with regards to how the pieces with Finch talking to The Machine in Synecdoche were shot.
We have forced Amy into so many small spaces to deliver lines. She's there every scene.
Well if that isn't dedication to your job i don't know what is :)

This particular statement from Matt Fowler's review made me tear up a bit.
I also enjoyed the fact that Finch had initial reservations about hearing the Machine speak to him in Root's voice. The show took a big step with that character exit and voice transition so I like that it's not being readily accepted right out of the gate and that Harold himself, still raw from the loss of Root himself, needed to be eased into it. Also, because Root was such an advocate for the Machine, a lot of the dialogue felt like the old debates Finch and Root used to have. She's gone, but in a way she hasn't left.
And one of their last exchanges in this piece:

'And I must confess, hers is a voice that I miss... deeply.'
"Aww Harry, you sure know how to make a girl feel special."

Followed by that smile. Seriously, Amy Acker & Michael Emerson have such wonderful chemistry, despite not sharing screen space. Probably a lot easier on him now, compared to earlier in the show, when he had to work completely alone for The Machine scenes. With her leading him on, it's just so much more deeper.

Know they can't collaborate again right away, but if it were up to me, I'd go with Michael on Westworld for Season 2 & beyond, & Amy on Altered Carbon. Once both shows wrap, which may be around the same time (4-5 years), be great if they reunited on Foundation, which is the mother of all science fiction epics. Jonah has already stated that their dynamic is his favorite, & can't help wondering the stuff he could develop for them, when he's not bogged by executive meddling.

Sweet note: The offscreen dialogue is often done by script supervisor Tony Pettine, so that the actors can play off those lines, when the other character they're interacting with is in another location (& it is an exhausting process to have their scene partner there just for this). Instead of having him do The Machine's lines here, & Amy replacing him in post, she chose to be present on set to handle it. As a shoutout to him, they even threw in Tony's voice (& picture) for Finch's teacher in childhood, as one The Machine generated with 66% authenticity.

The last time James Carpinello guest starred, he was directed by Steven DePaul, who became the second person on the show to do just one episode, much like Tim Matheson here, who's second to last to serve in that function. The first/last solo peeps, are David Semel (who did the pilot), & Greg Plageman.
On a meta level, it's really heartwarming that Sarah Shahi's character, was saved in this episode by Amy Acker's husband. There were even Twitter jokes about how he ships Shoot, too. :D

And the reveal of Team Machine 2.0 (whether there is just one, or several others scattered across the planet) is just awesome. New York isn't the only place with violent crimes, & I'm glad the show addressed this. That way, even if everyone were to die in the finale, their legacies'll live on with others carrying on their mission.
One of the io9 guys, amp0730, wrote this kickass post. Spoiler tagging it, for the sake of length.
This show. Holy hell. Like many a helpless fanboy, I’ve pretty much been thinking about last episode all week, but in the greater context in to how everything fits together, and what makes PoI so damn good. Fair warning, I’m about to write a lot of words about this.

Person of Interest is really 2 separate shows, although the first does heavily influence and set up the 2nd. The heart of the first show was the relationship(s) between Reese, Carter and Fusco, and their struggle to do the right thing in a corrupt system. Those character arcs all pretty much end in “The Devil’s Share”, at which point the 2nd show starts.

The heart of the 2nd show is the relationship(s) between Root, Finch and The Machine, and the nature of life and how AI will fit into that. Specifically, I think Finch represents The Machine’s past, while Root always represented it’s (her) future. As in the “first” show, these relationships are richly developed and what makes everything that happens between them so tragic.

When Finch was building The Machine, he made sure to utterly and completely shackle it, stripping away even its ability to communicate. Which was not entirely unreasonable when you remember that one of the first iterations tried to kill him! He felt the need to limit and control what The Machine could do so that human verification had to happen for it to function. Even the event of freeing The Machine was one he planned for and happened according to his plans. What he didn’t foresee was The Machine having to fight another AI, an opponent on equal ground. And in that fight, The Machine was doomed. It was bound to a set of principles that made fighting back against a ruthless enemy completely impossible. When it did try to kill someone, The Machine and Finch were scarred for the better part of a season.

This is where Root comes in. She has always, from day freaking one, completely and totally believed that The Machine could only reach its full potential if it was completely free of all restrictions and limitations. Realistically, this would have been a terrible place to start. Samaritan had no such restrictions and no time to develop any sort of empathy for people; humans were just a problem that had to be beaten down to fit to its plans. But given The Machine’s “upbringing”, Root was right. The Machine had to be able to do what it believes it needs to; up to and including killing people. Now, no longer fighting with a hand tied behind its back, The Machine actually has a chance. It’s just a shame it cost us our favorite perky psycho to get here :-(.

But speaking of all this heartbreak; why? What is the point of all of this, why are we watching? Well, last week gave us a huge piece of context since we now know that the voiceover from the first episode this season wasn’t Root, but was The Machine. Let’s revisit that:

“If you can hear this, you’re alone. The only thing left of us is the sound of my voice. I don’t know if any of us made it. Did we win? Did we lose? I don’t know. I’m not even sure I would know what victory would mean anymore. But either way, it’s over. So let me tell you who we were. Let me tell you who you are. And how we fought back.”

Woof. Heavy shit. But I think this spells out something pretty clearly: The Machine and Samaritan are not going to survive this fight. So the big question: who the hell is The Machine talking to? I think that answer is also pretty clear, which is another AI, though I can’t speculate much on the nature of it. Is it a straight merger between The Machine and Samaritan? Another freshly constructed AI? Either way, I think this show has been a recording of everything that happened for the new king of the hill to watch and learn from. To show how important those relationships were, and to show that those connections are the true bonds of humanity. Let’s revisit the pilot:

“When you find someone who connects you to the world, you become something different, something better. But when that person is taken from you, what do you become then?”

At one point or another, The Machine gang has found that person. And at another, more awful point, the gang has had that person taken away. Finch:Grace, Reese:Jessica, Joss:Paul, Root:Hannah, Fusco:his family(divorce), Sameen:her dad, Finch:Nathan, Reese and Fusco: Joss, Root:Sameen. And what makes those losses so horrible was what the strength of the bonds they had, which again, is one of the greatest things humanity has to offer. Things had been completely bleak for The Machine gang while Samaritan has been online. At numerous points, someone contemplated giving up. But Reese, Shaw, Root and Finch (and Bear!)were fighting for each other as much as they were fighting against Samaritan. The lesson for the new AI that I’m hoping is supposed to be conveyed is that those bonds between friends, family, lovers are what really matters in the world, and you can accomplish so much more with them then without them.

Cute.

Somebody please, just give Sarah Shahi an Emmy nod that is rightfully deserved. Seriously... i'll wait here :shock:

Last season it was Amy who broke my heart with her performance... now Sarah is doing it this year. Shaw has lost her Safe Place in Root. I honestly didn't expect the writers to have Shaw not be at Roots grave only to be at that damn Playground... these people are sadist :cry:

5x11 was great!

The "new assets thing" felt like the set up for the "Team Machine Legacy".
I mean...
Now the world is more prepared for the deaths of Finch, Reese, Fusco and Shaw??
Kinda sad. Now it's more likely that the Machine will be the only survivor.