A Wrinkle In Time (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Skyab23 wrote:
February 27th, 2018, 8:50 pm
Didn't DuVarney's previous films receive strong critical praise? I wasn't impressed with Selma.

If the mixed reactions are legit for A Wrinkle in Time, it's going to be very interesting to see if critics who are on the fence about it actually give it a negative review. Because in today's culture, if you give a negative review to a big budget film directed by a minority or a female, you are running the risk of being shamed and labeled a racist or anti-female. There's a ton of pressure to conform and seem progressive, and I'm sure it's even more apparent within film critic circles. It's pathetic, but it's the way of the world now.
Yeah that's definitely it. You got it. :facepalm:

Not to turn this away from the critic discussion but it relates to it imo.

I agree to an extent. It's getting to a point where if you're white and male and possibly create a masterwork, there's always going to be people in and out of the industry with pitchforks screaming "why did they give him the award? Of course! He's white! What about that woman over there or that person of colour!". Reviews, awards, it's all heading into that direction. Shit like Emma Stone's comments. Now no matter how good or mediocre a filmmaker/actors work, they HAVE to include a woman in the Best Director category. They HAVE to include a black person or any minority. And soon if any white female or white male wins, everyone will be up in arms. Im totally cool with an all female list of directors one year, or critics praising more films that are made by minorities. But ONLY if they deserve it. If the work is actually good. If one year, there's no black or Asian or Mexican nominees, then I'm fine with it if it's due to poor quality films made by those individuals. But imagine the uproar.

I can see critics being afraid to voice that opinion at the risk of getting slammed by the PC crowd. I say fuck that crowd. If your work is good, then it's good. If you suck, then you fucking suck and critics or the Academy should not kiss your ass because of your gender or whatever. DuVernay is not a old filmmaker, her movies suck, so bring on the bad reviews and don't nominate mediocrity.

shauner111 wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 2:32 am
Not to turn this away from the critic discussion but it relates to it imo.

I agree to an extent. It's getting to a point where if you're white and male and possibly create a masterwork, there's always going to be people in and out of the industry with pitchforks screaming "why did they give him the award? Of course! He's white! What about that woman over there or that person of colour!". Reviews, awards, it's all heading into that direction. Shit like Emma Stone's comments. Now no matter how good or mediocre a filmmaker/actors work, they HAVE to include a woman in the Best Director category. They HAVE to include a black person or any minority. And soon if any white female or white male wins, everyone will be up in arms. Im totally cool with an all female list of directors one year, or critics praising more films that are made by minorities. But ONLY if they deserve it. If the work is actually good. If one year, there's no black or Asian or Mexican nominees, then I'm fine with it if it's due to poor quality films made by those individuals. But imagine the uproar.

I can see critics being afraid to voice that opinion at the risk of getting slammed by the PC crowd. I say fuck that crowd. If your work is good, then it's good. If you suck, then you fucking suck and critics or the Academy should not kiss your ass because of your gender or whatever. DuVernay is not a old filmmaker, her movies suck, so bring on the bad reviews and don't nominate mediocrity.
Wow this is full of wtf bullshit. Best Director has to include black person or any minority or a female or whatever the fuck you complaining about here? Since when? There's only been 5 black directors that have been nominated in the history of the Academy Awards. I don't know specifically what you getting at because you are all over the place. What you are complaining about isn't true because of what I just stated that it's only happened 5 times and just maybe those particular directors you are complaining deserved to be nominated. So Peele, McQueen, Jenkins (last 5 years Best Director nominees) didn't deserve their noms? They only got it because they are black? Is that what you are getting at here? I just want to make sure. If they did then what are you complaining about. If you feel they didn't then should no one other than white males be nominated no matter what. Between this comment here and your ignorance in the Call Me By Your Name thread you are right in line with the people in Charlottesville and Trump crowd.

I'm also trying to figure out what you mean when a white director wins people are up in arms? When did this happen? And you act like only non white male directors should be nominated if they ONLY deserve it. There have been many times when a white male director didn't deserve it so the deserve rule only applies to non white males according to you?

Now as far as Duvernay she hasn't received an Oscar nomination and she's had some highly acclaimed films and her current movie is at 43% on rotten tomatoes so where is the favoritism? As for her movies suck while that's your opinion but her first 3 movies Middle Of Nowhere, Selma,and 13th all had very good ratings and well received by the public for the most part so a lot of somebody's don't think her movies suck as you say. Have you seen all of her movies? If you have why do continue to watch them since she and her movies suck. Sounds like you have a bitter outlook on things that aren't in your comfort zone.

The problem is that that they snub the ones who actually deserve it like Bigelow, Oyelowo, Sam Jackson or Elba, and then they end up nominating Octavia Spencer every year.£

Bootsy you're missing my point. Of course those directors deserved it. And no, I can't stand Trump and his followers. I'm saying its leading to that mentality in the industry because I see ppl tearing down any filmmaker who isn't a minority or a woman, even if they put the work in and created great art. If disliking Call Me By Your Name is ignorance then I guess id rather be ignorant than side with a movie where the adult seduces a kid cuz he can't do it in his own country. Thank god for ignorance then.

Of course white ppl have been nominated and didn't deserve it. That's not the topic I was discussing. I was discussing the recent trend of being politically correct and sensitive, therefore feeling the need to include a black person or a female in the director category from here on out. That's where I see it going. Jordan Peele did not deserve the nomination, did he get it because of the overrated success of Get Out or because he was a man of color? I'm not sure. Moonlight only won because of politics. It deserved it maybe, but that's not why the Academy gave it the statue. Don't be naive. It's all politics. I'm not saying Jenkins won't deserve a nom next year. But wanna bet they include a woman and person of color just so they don't get in shit? Even if the director is Angelina Jolie one year, it will have to become a trend. I don't care if one year it's all black noms , as long as they're quality films.

That's my point. Black Panther, Wonder Woman, critics overrate them because of the gender and race involved. Not because they're actually as good as TDK. All I want is actors/directors nominated if they put good work in, not because they're a man or woman? It's happened enough where white men have been nominated for no reason. A woman nominated if they did magnificent work?? fuck yeah I wanna see that woman in the race. But not automatically. Be fair, look at the work, not their skin tone or gender please.

There needs to be more diversity on all levels of the film industry but that in itself does not mean that every single Black, Hispanic, etc. man or woman director is going to end up creating classic masterpieces every single time. There are for instance a lot of white men who are terrible filmmakers despite the fact that a lot of award recipients have been white men.

Just including more African-American, Hispanic, Latino men and women as directors, etc. in and of itself alone is not a guarantee for quality films being made because those people still need to be great directors to be able to craft timeless classics that get awards recognition and there will be a lot of mediocre and bad work coming from those people as well and that's ok...because a lot of white male directors have made medicore or bad films as well as amazing work over the years.

The fact that we need more women directors for instance should not be used to shield the films they make from criticism in terms of the craft involved that we apply to all films. The people who actively demand more diversity should probably get used to the idea that, as the industry becomes more diverse, the same kinds of criticisms that people voice in passing against a terrible Zack Snyder film might be voiced against a terrible film by for instance a director from the African-American community. If the script is terrible, it's terrible. If the effects are awful, they are awful. If the dialogue is bad, it's bad. That's something people might have a problem with even without knowing who made the film under what circumstances. That has something to do with the ability of the director to properly do his/her job most of the time.

At the same time, the fact that we're not going to get a masterpiece every time a Hispanic, Latino, African-American man or woman directs a movie should not be used to minimise the need for a more diverse range of voices or be used as an excuse to not work towards a more inclusive and multicultural film industry or demand more diversity in terms of creative voices.

Master Virgo wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 8:08 am
The problem is that that they snub the ones who actually deserve it like Bigelow, Oyelowo, Sam Jackson or Elba, and then they end up nominating Octavia Spencer every year.£
This makes no sense. Those people aren't even in the same category as Spencer so she doesn't affect their recognition at all. Blame the people in their respective categories not Spencer.
shauner111 wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 9:59 am
Bootsy you're missing my point. Of course those directors deserved it. And no, I can't stand Trump and his followers. I'm saying its leading to that mentality in the industry because I see ppl tearing down any filmmaker who isn't a minority or a woman, even if they put the work in and created great art. If disliking Call Me By Your Name is ignorance then I guess id rather be ignorant than side with a movie where the adult seduces a kid cuz he can't do it in his own country. Thank god for ignorance then.

Of course white ppl have been nominated and didn't deserve it. That's not the topic I was discussing. I was discussing the recent trend of being politically correct and sensitive, therefore feeling the need to include a black person or a female in the director category from here on out. That's where I see it going. Jordan Peele did not deserve the nomination, did he get it because of the overrated success of Get Out or because he was a man of color? I'm not sure. Moonlight only won because of politics. It deserved it maybe, but that's not why the Academy gave it the statue. Don't be naive. It's all politics. I'm not saying Jenkins won't deserve a nom next year. But wanna bet they include a woman and person of color just so they don't get in shit? Even if the director is Angelina Jolie one year, it will have to become a trend. I don't care if one year it's all black noms , as long as they're quality films.

That's my point. Black Panther, Wonder Woman, critics overrate them because of the gender and race involved. Not because they're actually as good as TDK. All I want is actors/directors nominated if they put good work in, not because they're a man or woman? It's happened enough where white men have been nominated for no reason. A woman nominated if they did magnificent work?? fuck yeah I wanna see that woman in the race. But not automatically. Be fair, look at the work, not their skin tone or gender please.
I'm not missing your point. They don't feel the need to include a black person or a female. I just stated that they've nominated five black directors TOTAL and five female directors TOTAL in the history of the Academy Awards. That isn't feeling the need, that's hardly doing it at all. That's a sad representation not a need to include. So again what you crying about.

You're point about Black Panther and Wonder Woman being critically overrated. Critics overrate a lot of movies why point out those two. Critics overrate every Marvel movie and other movies that didn't deserve the scores they got so...again I don't get your point. You have a problem man, you seem very bitter about things. And you also need to get your facts straight complaining about needing to include black or female directors when they've only nominated 5 each in the 90 year history of the Academy Awards is completely misguided.

You also didn't answer my question have you seen all of DuVernay's films?

Always a pleasure to see a faux artist fail.

No merit and all talk. A shame it also happens to be a woman of colour.

MyCocaine wrote:
March 8th, 2018, 1:32 pm
Always a pleasure to see a faux artist fail.

No merit and all talk. A shame it also happens to be a woman of colour.
taking pleasure in seeing anyone fail is really sad. unless they've like personally wronged you or something.

Anyway, I don't think this looks particularly good and I'm not a huge DuVernay fan, but I don't think that means she shouldn't keep getting opportunities. She's made, what, three features so far? How many did it take for Kubrick to become Kubrick?

I mean the fact that people aren't going to the theaters anymore means studios can't take risks anymore, but I think we should all support directors having the opportunity to fail and try again so they can truly develop their talents, or else we might miss out on some great movies.

And if the reason DuVernay gets to continue making movies is performative diversity from movie studios, then so be it.

The Taxman wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 6:15 pm
taking pleasure in seeing anyone fail is really sad. unless they've like personally wronged you or something.

Anyway, I don't think this looks particularly good and I'm not a huge DuVernay fan, but I don't think that means she shouldn't keep getting opportunities. She's made, what, three features so far? How many did it take for Kubrick to become Kubrick?

I mean the fact that people aren't going to the theaters anymore means studios can't take risks anymore, but I think we should all support directors having the opportunity to fail and try again so they can truly develop their talents, or else we might miss out on some great movies.

And if the reason DuVernay gets to continue making movies is performative diversity from movie studios, then so be it.
Couldn't have said it better myself.