Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 6:14 pm
Artemis wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 6:04 pm
Didn't Kennedy even explicitly say that she approached female directors but they would say no?

What is she supposed to do, force them into directing?
She implied she's talked with them, not necessarily that she offered them any directing gigs of a star wars feature. What she said very clearly is she only wants directors with a certain level of directing experience, and there's not many women with that experience yet.

That's the quote that had people throw her to the wolves despite making three of the most diverse blockbusters in the history of cinema.

-Vader
And we can imagine Leo is picky for similar reasons. Usually works with seasoned masters with extensive filmographies. Yeah one exception being Baz which he was blinded by friendship to him and Toby.

I don’t think Leo’s choice are faultless though, there’s about a 100 female directors I’d rather him work with than Eastwood. That was back in 2011 though.

everyone can chirp leo the moment there's gender equity in star vehicle blockbusters

until then

This is the first movie that I'm genuinely excited to see this year. First film of Tarantino's I'll see i theaters, now that I think of it. Tarantino typically makes films that are fun while they last, but don't have a lasting impact on me. It probably won't, but I can hope this film will actually blow me away like much of Nolan's filmography.

This was so much fun. Less plot driven than some of his other work. Third act is perfection. DiCaprio the standout for me.

Durden wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 1:35 am
This was so much fun. Less plot driven than some of his other work. Third act is perfection. DiCaprio the standout for me.
how'd you rank it with his other movies?

jealous you got to see this early tbh

-Vader

Will have to see it again before I rank I think. It didn’t disappoint though. Every character is interesting and performances across the board are great. For Hateful Eight Tarantino showed up to the Hollywood theater opening weekend and the guy doing the screening hinted he might do the same this weekend. So probably going to check it out Saturday again.

Durden wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 2:11 am
Will have to see it again before I rank I think. It didn’t disappoint though. Every character is interesting and performances across the board are great. For Hateful Eight Tarantino showed up to the Hollywood theater opening weekend and the guy doing the screening hinted he might do the same this weekend. So probably going to check it out Saturday again.
Cool. Btw if you haven't, watch Transit. Best movie of the year so far for me.

-Vader

Been meaning to check out Transit. This is far and away my number one this year so far but also really enjoyed The last black man in San Francisco and Midsommar.

Durden wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 2:37 am
Been meaning to check out Transit. This is far and away my number one this year so far but also really enjoyed The last black man in San Francisco and Midsommar.
Any notable acting outside of the main 3?

Durden wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 2:11 am
Well, for the best movie of the year so far, the phrase "it didin't disappoint" is dissapointing :P