Biggest Pet Peeves in Movies

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
Posts: 5247
Joined: May 2014
An over-the-shoulder pov shot where dialogue is being spoken but you can clearly see the actor's mouth is not moving.

Posts: 18910
Joined: June 2012
Location: 1500s England
LelekPL wrote:
Nomis wrote:
LelekPL wrote: I didn't see Wonder Woman but that was exactly my point. They actually went out of their way to make that picture be real in BvS and from what you're saying, they recreated it in Wonder Woman.
Your point being? Isn't this better than using a still from the production, which is for another scene, a scene that you see in the movie? Like that one of Rachel...
That's exactly what I've been saying all this time. It is better. WTF are you on about?
Ah I get what you mean.

Posts: 7450
Joined: February 2012
Somewhat similar to the Rachel photo issue is when security or camera footage is being shown in a film, and it's clearly footage from either the film itself or a previous installment, shot for shot.

A big example that comes to mind is Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. During the first act, Kirk and some Vulcan guy are supposedly looking over security camera footage from the Enterprise during the events of Wrath of Khan. Except what they're looking at is the exact shots from the film, as if Wrath of Khan was some found footage flick.

Not only does it make me question how they got this footage, but also how they're often blocked so well and move so smoothly (do security cams in the future come with a Cinematographer AI?). Plus it just takes me out of the experience.

Posts: 2459
Joined: January 2015
Location: Poland
The super well-edited leaked phone video from Logan is also guilty of it.

User avatar
Oku
Posts: 3251
Joined: May 2012
I remember reading a comment that explained it.

Posts: 3231
Joined: October 2014
Location: Philly
LelekPL wrote:
Law wrote:Bad dubbing
Is there good dubbing, though?
IMAX scenes in Nolan films

8 1/2

Posts: 5435
Joined: June 2012
Location: Free
LelekPL wrote:
Law wrote:Bad dubbing
Is there good dubbing, though? I guess in anmation it doesn't make much difference (although I still prefer the original) but in live action it's just horrendous.
The thing about good dubbing is that, well, you can't distinguish from on-location voice. It's kinda like good VFX, but more difficult to see, because unlike good VFX, which can be realistic but still present something that's obviously imposible to film on-camera, good dubbing is just people saying stuff.

Posts: 3728
Joined: June 2011
So nitpicky lol.

Posts: 2459
Joined: January 2015
Location: Poland
didich wrote:
LelekPL wrote:
Law wrote:Bad dubbing
Is there good dubbing, though? I guess in anmation it doesn't make much difference (although I still prefer the original) but in live action it's just horrendous.
The thing about good dubbing is that, well, you can't distinguish from on-location voice. It's kinda like good VFX, but more difficult to see, because unlike good VFX, which can be realistic but still present something that's obviously imposible to film on-camera, good dubbing is just people saying stuff.
I agree. By dubbing I meant "revoicing", changing the language of the film rather than ADR.

Posts: 7450
Joined: February 2012
LelekPL wrote:The super well-edited leaked phone video from Logan is also guilty of it.
That was a bit better because the phone video functioned as actual found footage rather than previously shown footage, but it was a bit jarring.

Post Reply