The Witcher (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace wrote:
September 4th, 2018, 10:39 am
Henry Cavill to Star in ‘Witcher’ Series at Netflix

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/henry- ... ssion=true
Henry Cavill will play the lead role in the upcoming Netflix series based on “The Witcher,” Variety has learned.

Based on the best-selling fantasy series, “The Witcher” follows Geralt of Rivia (Cavill), a solitary monster hunter, as he struggles to find his place in a world where people often prove more wicked than beasts. But when destiny hurtles him toward a powerful sorceress, and a young princess with a dangerous secret, the three must learn to navigate the increasingly volatile Continent together.

As Variety reported exclusively last year, Lauren Schmidt Hissrich serves as executive producer and showrunner on the series. In addition, Alik Sakharov, Alex Garcia Lopez, and Charlotte Brändström will all direct portions of the eight-episode first season, with Sakharov also serving as executive producer.
Hype

Cool fanart.

£

The fact he's so into the source material and video games is massive, IMO.

Like, it's a blessing to have a big name who actually wants to do it.

fucking in

Ace
'The Witcher': Netflix Show Casts Ciri and Yennefer Roles (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/l ... ssion=true
Freya Allan (The War of the Worlds, Into The Badlands) and Anya Chalotra (The ABC Murders, Wanderlust) join Henry Cavill as Ciri and Yennefer, respectively, in the upcoming fantasy series based on the series of novels by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The books previously inspired a bestselling video game franchise by Warsaw-based game studio CD Projekt Red.

Ciri is the young princess of Cintra, one of the kingdoms at the center of the plot. Yennefer, meanwhile, is a sorceress and Geralt of Rivia's (Cavill) main love interest. She is also a mother figure to Ciri.

Rounding out the rest of the cast are Jodhi May (Game of Thrones, Genius) as Queen Calanthe; Björn Hlynur Haraldsson (Fortitude) as her husband, the knight Eist; Adam Levy (Knightfall, Snatch) as the druid Mousesack; MyAnna Buring as the head of the magical academy at Aretuza, Tissaia; Mimi Ndiweni and Therica Wilson-Read as novice sorcerers; and Millie Brady as the outcast Princess Renfri.

Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, who previously served as producer on Netflix's Daredevil and The Defenders, will run the show and exec produce alongside House of Cards and Game of Thrones' Alik Sakharov.

“Casting The Witcher has been one of the biggest projects of my career, and undoubtedly the most exciting,” said Hissrich. “I can’t wait for these wonderful actors to bring such iconic and loved characters to life on screen, and to share these special stories with viewers all over the world.”

Set as directors of the series are Alik Sakharov (House of Cards, Game of Thrones), who will helm a total of four episodes, including the first one, and also will serve as executive producer. Alex Garcia Lopez (Marvel’s Luke Cage, Fear The Walking Dead) and Charlotte Brändström (Outlander, Counterpart) will direct two episodes each.
Last edited by Ace on October 10th, 2018, 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

So... no Eva Green?🕷

Thought they'd go a little older for Calanthe. Like, I always imagined a Blanchett-type when reading the book.

Otherwise, I'm happy to see it's not star-studded.

I hate to say it but judging just from the headshot, Yen looks completely wrong.

-Vader

Artemis wrote:
October 31st, 2018, 10:36 am
First look at Cavill as Geralt.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1057640842201055232

I wonder if he'll grow the beard.

I also started reading the first short story collection for The Witcher recently. Are the games worth playing for non gamers like me?
I personally think the 3rd game has fantastic storytelling, if nothing else suits your fancy. If you enjoyed the characters you'll enjoy them in the game.

Ties up a lot of stories that started in The Last Wish/ Sword of Destiny elegantly.

It's also true to the original material, despite what Sapkowski thinks.

But fuck him he's been a sore winner since the Witcher craze began.