Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

I will be seeing this when it releases. :thumbup:

I absolutely adored it. The only reason I felt its length was because the theater seats were uncomfy lol. You can tell Marty put all of his heart into this, unbelievable that at his age, he is STILL evolving as a filmmaker. The ending was a stroke of genius

Also I'm completely in love with Lily Gladstone

Ruth wrote:
October 22nd, 2023, 2:51 am
I absolutely adored it. The only reason I felt its length was because the theater seats were uncomfy lol. You can tell Marty put all of his heart into this, unbelievable that at his age, he is STILL evolving as a filmmaker. The ending was a stroke of genius

Also I'm completely in love with Lily Gladstone
Just saw this today in (LIE)MAX. Daddy Marty delivered. I'm still digesting, but Best Production Design has to be between this and Barbie, right? This and Oppenheimer (prob Poor Things too) are gonna dominate at the awards. Lily Gladstone Oscar now... or we riot.

I didn't expect the film to be as engaging as it. I didn't even notice how close I was to pissing myself until I stood up.

It is a very good film with excellent performances by the main cast but I was not as enthralled with it as I was with a film like Oppenheimer.

I did not consider the running time in either film to be a problem for me personally as I was watching them. I initially went into this particular film dreading the running time somewhat. As it turns out, those fears were unfounded because the writing and the acting for the 3 main characters make this a very engaging story to watch.

It's not difficult to root against Robert de Niro's character in this and it is very easy to feel saddened by the fate of the various members of the Osage Nation who are the victims of various schemes in this film.

Where it becomes trickier is with regard to DiCaprio's character. He is, for all intents and purposes, the protagonist of the film (I had wished that Lily Gladstone had been more present in the latter half of the film) and he is gullible, easily influenced but also not so stupid that he's not able to realise that he is willing to go along with legally and morally questionable things to enrich his family to the point where you feel at turns repulsed by (and occasionally sad for) this truly pathetic man who on occasion will show genuine affection for his wife and yet also is (directly or indirectly) responsible for her anguish and her suffering and you can basically see him throw away every piece of his soul. Ultimately, however, it is always clear that his internal struggle and his spiritual salvation are not more important than the people who were victims of heinous crimes and who sadly were not considered important enough for a long time to give them the justice they were asking for.

The way the film came to an end was a bit of a surprise because I had not expected it to go that way but it was a poignant way to finish the story.

I'd say Oppenheimer is still better (the soundtrack, for instance, is not something that stuck with me with Scorsese's film) but Scorsese still made one of the best films of the year that everyone should see.

woah, ok so i finally got to see it and, it was a gut punch, or maybe an emotional stabbing, Bob de Niro really played the heck out of that disgusting old man, Lily was terrific, and Leo was also great though i dont feel its one of his outlier performances, what really made the film for me was the ending, it really felt like Marty was saying "all i can do about this terrible thing is tell the story, but thats not nearly enough", it felt a bit like a Spike Lee ending in the best way possible, i think film essayists are gonna have a field day with that ending alone haha.

Genuine best film contender, and though it didnt light the same fire in my as Oppenheimer, i can already tell its one of those that will resonate and take hold of my mind as time passes.

It's too long and could have spent less time on just the crooks particularly in the last act, but still one of the best of movies of the year 2023, from performances to story.

Phenomenal film!

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. The only drawback was the uncomfortable theater seats. Martin Scorsese's dedication to his craft at his age is remarkable. The ending was particularly brilliant.

Just watched it in (LIE)MAX. Martin Scorsese delivered an outstanding film. Best Production Design might be a close call between this and Barbie. Expect this and Oppenheimer (and maybe Poor Things) to dominate at the awards. Lily Gladstone's performance is Oscar-worthy.

The film was engaging, and the runtime didn't bother me. I found the writing and performances, particularly by the main cast, captivating. It's easy to root against Robert De Niro's character and feel sympathy for the Osage Nation victims. Leonardo DiCaprio's character, while complex, keeps you engaged, and the film's conclusion was a pleasant surprise.

While I believe Oppenheimer is superior, Scorsese's film is one of the year's best and is a must-see, even though the soundtrack didn't leave a lasting impact on me.