All the Money in the World (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:I agree in a way, that there are women (and children) who suffer in more devastating ways - are denied simple education, etc., especially in thirld world countries or conflict stricken zones, but I wonder why does the responsibility to speak out and support feminism falls only on women's shoulders? Women are criticized for not doing feminism "right" - like, I agree, that some people virtue signal or are slacktivists, or have super aggressive views and so on. It's one of the reasons why I personally struggled to call myself a feminist in the past too. But it's that way because feminists aren't a freaking hive mind - there'll be weird people, stupid people, those who want attention and many more. God knows I've not liked a ton of what Chastain has said before, but why, instead of endlessly criticizing her for whatever the hell she tweets, you don't hold male stars to the same standart? Why don't you scrutinize them and ask them to speak up for not only women from Western countries, but women in countries/zones who desperately need direct help now? Is it only our responsibility to help ourselves?
About your question regarding not pointing out at men:

This topic is specifically on Chastain, that's why I said that she, if truly wants to make a difference when it comes to women's rights, she can leave the life of stardom and her twitter for two weeks to truly help the women that need help. I admire Angelina Jolie , who has traveled almost all over the world and has sat with women in countries like Afghanistan. She has done actually more than sitting with them listening to their stories.

But as for men in Hollywood, same thing -- they, too, should.

As for feminism, it has drastically changed. But, as I have said before, I'm all for women directors getting the chance to direct movies if they want to, run companies, get paid if she's smart and intelligent and hardworking as the next guy and even become president, leaders. But people like Chastain, they're actually damaging the cause--the movement, because she's not well-informed. She needs to travel around the world in order to understand the reality and the difference between (not just as a woman, but as a human being) between women living in the west and abroad. Making movies, criticizing him, her, criticizing the work of other artists in a film festival, it''s not going resolve the issue. I think that Chastain should be quiet. Let the right people do the job. Because she for sure isn't the right person.

God, I can't believe it. I'm turning against her. I always thought she was smart and as well as sweet. Man, Zero Dark Thirty, I wish she wasn't in it. I love that movie. haha

Rohan wrote:
cooldude wrote:
Rohan wrote: If women like Ms. Chastain really care about women -- I would like to see them take a trip to third world countries and defend the women rights there, because those women need help. If not. Why women living in the middle-east aren't women?
Is this the standard you use to judge women’s rights on. She shouldn’t be complaining because other women abroad have it worse. Good lord, this is deeply flawed. As if fighting for women’s rights in the ME and the West are mutually exclusive.
In reality, the women in the west are not doing that bad than women abroad, especially in countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran etc. So, when one stands for women's rights, you stand for all -- meaning the world in your eye is one society in order to be deemed not ignorant and as well as arrogant and not to mention gullible. No country, no matter how great -- wealthy/poor, has its issues, including here in the U.S. -- so it's with gladness that I say that what most are doing is right and one's salary should not be based on gender, but experience and work ethic. Honestly, these issues should've been already resolved and put behind us all considering the fact that we all are in the U.S.
Nope, nope. Again this is deeply flawed, because there is no such thing as equal by comparison. Fighting for women’s rights in the ME and the West is not mutually exclusive. It’s not. You’re basically saying because women in America are not oppressed like other places lets negate from criticizing our own society. Is that really how equality should be judged. Unless it’s explicit and international.

^I agree.

By the way Rohan, even someone like Chastain whom you deem to be unfit for this matter, has the right to voice her opinions. It doesn't mean you have to necessarily listen to her if you oppose her that much. But insinuating some people should be silenced in some kind of way in democratic societies maybe isn't how things should be dealt with.

Ruth wrote:^I agree.

By the way Rohan, even someone like Chastain whom you deem to be unfit for this matter, has the right to voice her opinions. It doesn't mean you have to necessarily listen to her if you oppose her that much. But insinuating some people should be silenced in some kind of way in democratic societies maybe isn't how things should be dealt with.
She absolutely does have the right to voice her opinion. Not at all saying that she doesn't or shouldn't. I think she's just doing it wrong and unfortunately she's not helping the very cause she's fighting for in the long run. And you're absolutely right that I can just not listen to her. But she's one of my favorite actresses and since I follow her on Twitter it's hard not listen to her. And I don't want to unfollow her yet. :)

Rohan wrote: She absolutely does have the right to voice her opinion. Not at all saying that she doesn't or shouldn't. I think she's just doing it wrong and unfortunately she's not helping the very cause she's fighting for in the long run.
i'm sure chastain would love your input on the right way to not be oppressed by men

Forum Pro
Law
oh look another thread ruined

I'm glad these conversations are happening in all sorts of spaces. I remember a few months back I didn't post much because I was annoyed at the amount of sexist comments/posts happening on the forum towards young women. I didn't get it, I'm no Harry Styles fan but I digress. Anyway the point is I didn't engage or speak up. As men we get to do this often, turn a blind eye or ignore the issue.

On that note...I saw All the Money in the World tonight. Michelle Williams was fabulous. Of course I googled the film as soon as I got home because I was curious about how accurate the story was to "real" life. Had no idea the scenes with Christopher Plummer were reshot, he did an amazing job filling in. And here we come around full circle to the theme of equality, the pay gap and so on. We have a lot of work to do.

The info currently going round is that everyone except Wahlberg - even Plummer - did the reshoots for minimal salaries 'for the cause'. Wahlberg just happened to be the one who got greedy.

antovolk wrote:The info currently going round is that everyone except Wahlberg - even Plummer - did the reshoots for minimal salaries 'for the cause'. Wahlberg just happened to be the one who got greedy.
I agree.

If I were him I would not charge a dime.

And I'm still waiting for Williams to say something, because in reality Wahlberg didn't break the law. Yes, he got greedy and charged extra just for 10 days, but media is on the verge of nominating him as the monster.

Walhberg is the one who gets butts in seats. I know, you know it, the American people know it, even Marky Mark knows it. Plus, the man probably has a really tight schedule and had to cancel a wedding or something to do the reshoots.