Get Out (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well anyone who thinks IT is a masterpiece, will probably think Get Out is a masterpiece too. Two predictable, cliche "horror" films that aren't creepy in the slightest, both released purposely at a time where they KNOW the general audience will eat it up. IT and the whole 80's revival loaded with modern CG and jump scares that serve as a mask for an unimaginative script. Get Out, with the race issue being such a popular topic at the moment, gender roles in a relationship, humor that only hits half of the time from the comic relief character, and a giant ALL WHITE PPL ARE TERRIBLE sign planted in the front of every single scene.

Personally I'll take Get Out over IT because it's just better filmmaking, but they're both middle of the road. If I want a real horror movie I'll watch The Witch.

Get Out is a great film and deserving of all the accolades it gets.

It's great. Definitely. And it's award worthy for sure, I just don't get why it's this much.

It's an extremely solid horror/thriller flick with really strong and relevant social commentary. The message behind it is what makes it so important but the filmmaking itself is definitely from someone rather inexperienced. Hence my difficulty seeing it top this many Best Picture or Top 10 lists. As bad as it sounds, sometimes the film preaching the best message isn't the best made film. It's definitely above average though and is still in my Top 10 list at the moment.

bootsy wrote:Get Out is a great film and deserving of all the accolades it gets.
We’re debating whether it’s a masterpiece. I believe the consensus here, and overall, seems to be that yes, it is a great movie.

I rated it ‘very good’ = 4/5. But in general I’m pretty tough crowd when it comes to horror. I prefer the classics over most modern entries and the last horror I rated 5/5 was above mentioned Witch. Sure, the regular mid-range horrors tend to spice up the menu but I rarely see them as something more than what they are. Get Out has a lot going on under the surface at least, that’s always a plus.

I went on Wikipedia yesterday and Get Out is listed there among the top 3 best horror films of all time and I did a double take.

Bacon wrote:I went on Wikipedia yesterday and Get Out is listed there among the top 3 best horror films of all time and I did a double take.
I don't consider it a horror movie. That is one thing that bothers me is that it is described as horror. A thriller for sure but horror definitely not. And I'm not real big on horror movies but I know this isn't close to it.

I watched it and was surprised when I did it wasn't actually that much of a horror film. But even if it's a thriller my point still rests lol.

Bacon wrote:I went on Wikipedia yesterday and Get Out is listed there among the top 3 best horror films of all time and I did a double take.

That’s because horror nowadays is considered to be either a slasher or a poltergeist/found footage movie, but the thing is true horror has many other ingredients that break the conventions. Get Out is most definitely a horror movie, it is also a thriller with elements of dark comedy.

I really dig the film. Excellent ideas and very good execution. It has that very important quality of being memorable and significant and very much its own thing. I suspect it will be, at the very least, near my top ten films of 2017 in the end.

But, my theory is, that if you would have still admired this film the way it is, to such a high extent, even if Americans of all races had always lived in harmony and love, and no horrifying race-related issue was really going on underneath the deep layers of the society, and the themes presented in this film were just pure fantasy and irrelevant to the time and place, then you really appreciate this film for all the right reasons. Otherwise your art evaluation standards are simply incorrect and misguided.

I see in almost all the rave reviews saying, "oh, let me tell you what the great message of this truly important film of our time is". That is not what you're supposed to write in that piece, which you call film review. Your job is to explain how successful the film has been in converting those themes into the elements of the medium, in the most effective way, so that I, as a member of audience, care enough to pay attention to what is beneath it all.

People keep saying, "this film is so great because it has turned the real horrors of American society into a fictional horror story with comic undertones". That's all really great. Now let's talk about that horror story. Explain how and why you feel that it's great cinema. I'm here for that and only that and nothing else. The important themes behind it, are important with or without your film. Let's see how important, your film is.£

Very well said and nailed the way I think about it as well.

In my book The Shining is a horror masterpiece. Repulsion. The Exorcist. Rosemary’s Baby. Let the Right One In. Don’t Look Now. Most recently The Witch.

I’d put Get Out on par with It Follows (almost reached greatness for me) and well above, say, Babadook.

What I like about Get Out is how it takes the expected and turns it on its head. Well, at least until extremely predictable finale when it firmly lands in the been-there-done-that territory.