Predict: Movies in 2017

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Pirates 5 will get (very) good reviews

Wonder Woman will be flawed but it will get better reviews than BvS and Suicide Squad

Spider-Man will disappoint a little

Dunkirk will be seen as Nolan's best film to date

Geostorm will suck balls

I'll just rank the predicted success, or probably just my anticipated enjoyment, of the 2017 films I plan on seeing. Of course every year there are several relatively high quality films that come out during the fall that I usually don't know exist till the week I end up seeing them.

1. Dunkirk - Will be seen as one of his more solid films, contrary to the current trend he's on, as it will be one of his best directorial efforts. A good amount of his more casual fans will miss having some seemingly complicated plot device characteristic of his other films, thus lowering box office. It will fall into the second tier of his filmography, whatever that may be for you. Will be the least memorable Nolan-Zimmer collaboration but still pretty good quality. Nolan won't be blamed for exposition but unless theres some really good performance he'll get critic points off for not having compelling characters.
82% < RT < 92%

2. Annihilation - I assume this film is happening since images of the film were posted over the summer. Ex Machina finished filming a year and a half before it was released, hopefully that won't be the case with this. I enjoyed the atmosphere in Ex Machina and since this is supposed to be a somewhat harder science fiction horror/thriller I expect it to have a modest floor because of its atmosphere. It has a B-movie plot but so did his last film and the book got good reviews.
75% < RT < 90%

3. Mother! - Weird title but I I've enjoyed every film he's made so I trust Aronofsky's ability. The wiki plot "A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence." may be trite but he handles human psychology and human interaction well.
80% < RT < 90%

4. Blade Runner 2 - Everyone has a boner for Denis right now so this will get decent reviews saying that it was an admirable effort that was destined to fall short or was self aware in a more competent way than how Jurassic World was self aware. Idk Denis but I'll go with the former for what actually happened. It has top quality tools so it'll be like those youtube videos where the guy destroys things with that blazing hot/glowing knife, something moderately entertaining but afterwards most fans of the original will still ask themselves "why?".
75% < RT <85%

5. Wonder Wheel - A Blue Jasmine level film isn't really too much to ask from someone like him. I won't say "we're due for a decent Woody Allen film" since creativity doesn't really work that way but I'll be somewhat curious for the reviews.
70% < RT < 80%

6. Alien Covenant - Trailers were meh so we'll get a film thats less than the alright quality of Prometheus, which at least had a decent sense of scale to it. This will be an average at best monster movie with most likely some stupid backdrop story.
65% < RT < 75%

7. War of The Planet of the Apes - I'll spend the entire thinking about how cool it would be if it didn't go the standard blockbuster route that the other two went but its still a well funded depiction of apes attacking people.
65% < RT < 75%

Wouldn't be surprised at all if John Wick 2 ended up higher than the bottom 3-4 films listed here.

Annihilation is going to be a really different movie than Ex Machina. Much more explosive and action oriented. I don't think it will be as well received but I hear it is test screening soon so we may get some word.

Apparently Amazon is eyeing an October release date for Wonder Wheel which makes me think it will be one of Allen's better recent efforts and they think Kate has a chance for at least a nomination.

Quoting on mobile is too much work, but honestly, Nolan's main characters not being compelling enough is the exact kind of thing I'm sort of expecting tbh. My perception is potentially thwarted by peeping at certain character discussions and tumblr, where I remember reading, rolling my eyes and saying to myself "people calm the fuck down this AIN'T HAPPENING" numerous times lol. We're probably not getting these very elaborate backgrounds of each character but I actually think it could be more interesting this way

imma be disappoint if nolin doesn't do intro like this

Allstar wrote:Annihilation is going to be a really different movie than Ex Machina. Much more explosive and action oriented. I don't think it will be as well received but I hear it is test screening soon so we may get some word.

Apparently Amazon is eyeing an October release date for Wonder Wheel which makes me think it will be one of Allen's better recent efforts and they think Kate has a chance for at least a nomination.
Yea I'm being a little too hopeful. I haven't seen Dredd yet but Garland said that was a learning experience for him so maybe this will be as good as I hope.

The second greatest film of the year will be Call Me By Your Name. The third will be Downsizing.

BlairCo wrote:1) 2017 will make up for the shitstorm that was summer 2016
Yes and no. For each of us, we can all count on one hand our own disappointing movies of the year so far (For me that is Kong: Skull Island, A Cure for Wellness and Pirates of the Caribbean; Dead Man Tell No Tales), but we have had some incredible entries this year with an increase in quality compared to last year (Logan, Wonder Woman, Beauty and the Beast, Get Out, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Split, etc.)
BlairCo wrote:2) The Fate of the Furious will bring the Fast franchise down in quality
No. I enjoyed the hell out of FOTF, mostly because I went in expecting it to be step down in entertainment, but it packed the charm we have come to expect and love from the franchise and embraced it to the max.
BlairCo wrote:3) Dead Man Tell No Tales will be a step in the right direction for the franchise
Eh.... Generally considered the best one since the first one (I beg to differ... It's better than On Stranger Tides, I'l admit that), I was ready to put out for this entry, but it had so much working against it, I need a shovel to dig for anything I can compliment it over.
BlairCo wrote:4) 2017 will continue 2016's trend of quality made Horror movies
Yes. Get Out, Raw, It Comes at Night, Alien: Covenant and Split have helped continue this trend in quality-made Horror flicks.
BlairCo wrote:7) Wonder Woman and Justice League will be solid movies and will be used to pinpoint the direction of the DCEU
Yes, but we still need to wait for Justice League. However, it does look like Wonder Woman will be an asset with how Warner Bros and DC steer this ship.

bit premature to talk about summer 2017 in early June, no?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:bit premature to talk about summer 2017 in early June, no?
I don't even remember my own words. You are correct.