First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
How long till Nolan works with Goose?

antovolk wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 10:41 am
AhmadAli95 wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 10:17 am
antovolk wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 5:05 am
What's really cool also is they managed to dig up a lot of 70mm archive footage they then expanded the scope of with CGI.
I read about it somewhere. I wonder what aspect ratio the original 70mm footage had. The specific format was mentioned in the article but I can't remember. Would be cool to see some VFX breakdown.
1:1 I believe, just square. Special military use stock. They ended up augmenting the sides of the frame....

https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/customers/ ... rstman.php

This is such a good fucking movie... I've never seen a movie go from being an awards frontrunner to being forgotten so quickly. It saddens me that this might not even end up getting a Best Picture nomination.

BlairCo wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 4:10 pm
This is such a good fucking movie... I've never seen a movie go from being an awards frontrunner to being forgotten so quickly. It saddens me that this might not even end up getting a Best Picture nomination.
Competitive year and didn't have a lot of staying power for people. It's not even in the top 25 most acclaimed movies of the year.

-Vader

BlairCo wrote:
Same

as dumb as it sounds, I think the flag controversy sank this film, or at least strongly affected it (along with bad timing). there’s just no way this shouldn’t have a spot in top 25 films of the year. COME ON

BlairCo wrote:
+1

BlairCo wrote:
Same and I feel that way about Widows too.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 4:08 pm
antovolk wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 10:41 am
AhmadAli95 wrote:
November 7th, 2018, 10:17 am

I read about it somewhere. I wonder what aspect ratio the original 70mm footage had. The specific format was mentioned in the article but I can't remember. Would be cool to see some VFX breakdown.
1:1 I believe, just square. Special military use stock. They ended up augmenting the sides of the frame....

https://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/customers/ ... rstman.php
This is so incredibly cool. I love that they shot it in 70mm then and successfully transferred some of that footage in this film.

BlairCo wrote:
It really sucks that it wasn't a financial hit and might indeed not even nab a Best Picture nomination. Same goes for Gosling... Who definitely deserves a nomination. I think Foy might be able to get a nomination though, considering she's up for a Golden Globe.
As for the technical departments, I think it can get some love there. I hope it will be nominated for Sound Editing and Mixing, Best VFX, Cinematography and the score of course.

I love this film, definitely top 10 if not top 5 for me of this year.

The fact that this shot was filmed in 1969 and it looks absolutely incredible. I hope we get more information about the other shots that made it into the film (if there's any).

I loved First Man. Top 3 for me (can't decide an order between this, M:I6 and ASIB).

It makes me sad that this beautiful film didn't do well at the box office. Even if we forget about the flag controversy, the general public (not just in the US) seemed kind of uninterested in it. For example, a lot people here (the middle east), on social media at least, seem to believe that the moon landing didn't happen :facepalm:
And some who have seen the film said it was slow and criticized (shaky cam and whatnot). :facepalm: