First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Test screened last night. Reddit of course so grain of salt (although I know a screening did 100% take place)

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... screening/
I just came back from a preview screening of First Man and it's great. Damien Chazelle continues to prove why he's one of the best and most talented directors out there right now. Ryan Gosling is excellent as usual and Claire Foy gives an amazing performance too. It has a layered screenplay with successful emotional beats and it's pretty intense. Never a dull moment and the pacing throughout is excellent. It's technically impressive (as expected) and I really enjoyed the score. The trailer is indicative of the final product and you don't have to worry about this one.

It's definitely a final cut as everything looked completed to me. It's around 135 minutes before the credits started rolling. I believe Gosling and Foy will certainly be in the running for nominations.
I was at the same screening. Great movie, I especially loved all the cockpit scenes. Really made you feel in there and Super thrilling. The music was interesting with that kind of theremin sound and I wonder if they are going to keep it or not. Also should probably be a bit careful you did sign a waiver.
So that music bit...Chazelle mentioned this track in an interview. According to the guy on Reddit, Hurwitz's score is very much inspired by this and like Interstellar using organs, this uses a lot of....theremin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dawxnlRTgE8

EDIT:
Also the moon landing was shot beautifully it’s almost 20 minutes of silence with just Armstrong taking in the experience, no cut backs to people watching the tv or anything just silence, Neil and the moon.

Yesss !!

I'm very curious about the score. Chazelle and Hurwitz are big fans of Zimmer's work in Interstellar which is seriously one of the greatest scores of all time.
Whiplash and La La Land were strongly influenced by Jazz so it would be cool and refreshing to hear something different.

The trailer itself had a lot of Dunkirk/Interstellar influences but we know how trailer music works.

Ugh 3 months!!!!!

There's no way this will have a wide global release before next year right?

What do you mean? It will be released in The Netherlands this October, I figure Norway will get the same release date?

It seems like this will get the blockbuster treatment (kinda) rather than the Oscar bait treatment.

Sanchez wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 4:13 pm
It's opening almost everywhere in October/November. With IMAX especially they won't do the usual Oscarbait delayed release

antovolk wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 6:07 pm
Sanchez wrote:
June 20th, 2018, 4:13 pm
It's opening almost everywhere in October/November. With IMAX especially they won't do the usual Oscarbait delayed release
Great news.

Dunkirk meets Greengrass and Claire Foy is amazing in it per what Jeff Wells is hearing. Gosling great too but not transformative.

Gosling will always remain a quiet, underrated one.

All of the comments sound both expected and good, can’t wait.