First Man (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Let me rephrase that: every year is both good and bad for movies, it’s up to us to find the ones that will appeal to our tastes. It’s often a lottery though.

So, when I say 2018 has been a terrible year for movies so far, that means I just really had a bad luck with my choices.

I’m against ‘this or that genre is dying’ or ‘movies were better back in the days’ so I don’t want to continue this narrative. I just want more awesome movies in my life, and soon. It’s an ongoing mission in ten days with Incredibles 2 and Hereditary. Glad I skipped Solo.

2007 was the best year of that decade, you would have to put an effort in to miss the phenomenal films

2001 was pretty bland.This year didn't have any great films yet but there's already a couple of really good films.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 8:22 am
2007 was the best year of that decade, you would have to put an effort in to miss the phenomenal films
Yeah I mixed couple of years. Must’ve been because I remembered World’s End.

m4st4 wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 9:02 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 8:22 am
Yeah I mixed couple of years. Must’ve been because I remembered World’s End.
which is yet another argument for it being a great year of course

Sure, there was high-calibre Coens, Anderson, Fincher, Wright, Wright, Greengrass, Dominik, Burton, Lumet, Mangold, etc, but none of them had a 10-minute segue all about Johnny Depp sniffing a peanut.

I'm more on the side of this year being slightly pathetic but then I haven't gone out of my way to see anything of note, just the big ticket films. Oh, and Solo. But as with any year it'll pick up when the grown-up movies are out.

I’m all for Keira in that pirate uniform but that’s about it.

I’ll say this though: big Hollywood thing is running a bit stale, that’s the main point from which I’m reacting disappointed.

At World's End was crazy big fantasy filmmaking and Verbinski made it fucking rain dammit

In an interview from GQ in 2015 : http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/da ... movie-jazz
You're also working on a couple of other projects. A Neil Armstrong biopic, and a Seventies thriller. Can you tell me little about those other projects?

The Neil Armstrong film focuses specifically on the moon landings, on the mission, and the years at NASA leading up to Apollo 11, and including Apollo 11 which I'm working on at Universal. And I'm writing a Seventies vibes, which is not actually set in the Seventies. They're both a little further down, post-La La Land.
I really hope that he will tackle this after First Man.

Perhaps that's the mini series he's writing and directing right after?

m4st4 wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 12:44 am
He’s right. Aside from couple of hits, this has been a terrible year so far. Reminds me of 2007.