⊃∪∩⪽ ρ⩀⊇⊤ ⊙∩⋵ (2021)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Honestly, trailer 2's music was better than the movie's soundtrack

some other stuff has popped into my mind, tho whole scene of the Atreides leaving Caladan is cinematic FIRE, Paul leaving last, going down to the beach to touch the waters of his home planet for the last time really hit me, plus there are some really strong megalophobia and submecanophobia fuel images right there, and the song it self is fire also, its my current earworm

Never read the books, but that was incredible. Absolute masterpiece, loved every second of it.

> Got sucked right into the world, the way Denis presents it all is nothing but great. You can just see and feel the rich history at display, the plot reminded me a bit of War of the Roses (fight for the English throne).

> This was the first time the characters didn’t feel cold to me in a Denis film, in his previous efforts I always kinda felt a certain invisible barrier between the characters and myself. Not here, liked a lot of them. Chalamet does a great job with Paul, I was expecting a ‘whiney kid who gets great powers’, but it wasn’t that. The maturity of the young hero felt like a breath of fresh air, like even he knows the Messiah story is bullshit and even calls it out.

> Production wise it is all top tier stuff, as expected. I like how with Denis movies I legit never can tell which shots are CGI. Dunno if it is how he shoots, but even the most bonkers of stuff he makes look so real. The cinematography while not as great as BR2049, is still great. And tbf the environments don’t really lend themselves for it as BR2049 does (plus Roger Deakins is in a league of his own).

> Zimmer might be the MVP here, dude scored this to perfection. You could tell his heart was all in on this, I’m kinda surprised by the ‘sounds like his previous [insert score]’. Save for the whispery rapping, nothing else (to me) sounded like any of his previous efforts. Very unique sounds he came up with and some terrific themes as always. The Atreides with the bagpipes, Pauls Dream, Herald of the Change, Armada. Been enjoying it for quite awhile now and even more after seeing the movie. This also felt the most operatic Denis movie, guessing the score helped that partly.

5/5, give me part 2 and this movie all the Oscars.

A Borges man wrote:
October 28th, 2021, 12:08 pm
The hand-to-hand combat scenes were mostly mid shots that were very quickly cut, feeling perfunctory. As much shit as Nolan gets for his hand-to-hand combat scenes, yet...it goes to show that Villeneuve has fewer haters online. No one has mentioned this. I guess neither is going to direct Hong Kong action flick anytime soon.
Yes those hand-to-hand combats were such middling affairs, straight away brought the class of film few notches down. And Villeneuve has handled it far better in his previous films, so I don't know what went wrong here.

spade wrote:
October 30th, 2021, 11:29 pm
A Borges man wrote:
The hand-to-hand combat scenes were mostly mid shots that were very quickly cut, feeling perfunctory. As much shit as Nolan gets for his hand-to-hand combat scenes, yet...it goes to show that Villeneuve has fewer haters online. No one has mentioned this. I guess neither is going to direct Hong Kong action flick anytime soon.
Yes those hand-to-hand combats were such middling affairs, straight away brought the class of film few notches down. And Villeneuve has handled it far better in his previous films, so I don't know what went wrong here.
I mean, it might be that this element didn't interest him. Who knows. I can't really think of other Villeneuve hand-to-hand fights? The struggle with Blunt in Sicario? The Luv vs K. in BR2049?

A Borges man wrote:
October 31st, 2021, 1:14 am
spade wrote:
October 30th, 2021, 11:29 pm
A Borges man wrote:
I mean, it might be that this element didn't interest him. Who knows. I can't really think of other Villeneuve hand-to-hand fights? The struggle with Blunt in Sicario? The Luv vs K. in BR2049?
Yup, and a couple of others in BR2049 I can think of. Not that they featured elaborate choreography, but still quite involving. I guess, Villeneuve had way too many other things to focus on in Dune.

I went to see it for the second time, and I must say, it was a much more pleasent experience, not that I didn't like it the first time, but now I have a stronger connection to the film and its atmosphere, its world, than after the first viewing.

One thing that didn't change for me, though, is the feeling that the book presents the events of this story in a much more... exciting manner. And this is a weird feeling, because if anything, I always thought the book was quite - and surprisingly - "cinematic" in its storytelling. I am talking about the book's handling of cliffhangers and creating suspense. One striking example:
If I remember correctly, Dr. Yueh was revealed to be a traitor before the actual treason, and this was a very clever way to build suspense.
But Villeneuve decided not to handle these elements the same way, for some reason. I'm not saying this was a bad decision, but to me the book was quite the thriller at parts, and I didn't get the same excitement from the same scenes in the film.

Still, all in all, I enjoyed it much more on a second viewing, and I think it will grow on me in the future.

DHOPW42 wrote:
November 1st, 2021, 9:52 am
I went to see it for the second time, and I must say, it was a much more pleasent experience, not that I didn't like it the first time, but now I have a stronger connection to the film and its atmosphere, its world, than after the first viewing.

One thing that didn't change for me, though, is the feeling that the book presents the events of this story in a much more... exciting manner. And this is a weird feeling, because if anything, I always thought the book was quite - and surprisingly - "cinematic" in its storytelling. I am talking about the book's handling of cliffhangers and creating suspense. One striking example:

If I remember correctly, Dr. Yueh was revealed to be a traitor before the actual treason, and this was a very clever way to build suspense.

But Villeneuve decided not to handle these elements the same way, for some reason. I'm not saying this was a bad decision, but to me the book was quite the thriller at parts, and I didn't get the same excitement from the same scenes in the film.

Still, all in all, I enjoyed it much more on a second viewing, and I think it will grow on me in the future.
Yeah, I remember clairly this passage of the book, it was quite riveting/gripping back at the time when I was reading it.