Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

anarchy wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:16 am
https://twitter.com/AADowd/status/1147350416549711872

Changed how I thought about the horrible CGI (that "Tower Bridge" plaque, god...) It's not exactly subtle either, with
Gyllenhaal literally being in a mocap suit.
You chose the wrong meta, then. It works as a sarcasm yes, but...
’These days you need to be in a cape or flying to get noticed.’
It’s a meta commentary on the inner workings of the superhero universe as a whole, but also on the little people trying to break through in a tough industry environment.

Also, I thought the VFX team did good, especially in the last part.

m4st4 wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 7:29 am
Master Virgo wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 7:15 am
The fact that the film is shining like this after a terrific year we had for Spider-Man stories last year, as well as Endgame kind of seemingly being the last word on anything Marvel, is some achievement really.
Batman on the other hand... Boy, where do I even... Begin?
2021 boi

Battinson incoming

Nomis wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:48 am
m4st4 wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 7:29 am
Master Virgo wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 7:15 am
The fact that the film is shining like this after a terrific year we had for Spider-Man stories last year, as well as Endgame kind of seemingly being the last word on anything Marvel, is some achievement really.
Batman on the other hand... Boy, where do I even... Begin?
2021 boi

Battinson incoming
I hope so! Fell off the bat-wagon in comic books as well post King’s wedding fuckery. But I know my boi will shine again. :batman:

m4st4 wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:22 am
anarchy wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 8:16 am
https://twitter.com/AADowd/status/1147350416549711872

Changed how I thought about the horrible CGI (that "Tower Bridge" plaque, god...) It's not exactly subtle either, with
Gyllenhaal literally being in a mocap suit.
You chose the wrong meta, then. It works as a sarcasm yes, but...
’These days you need to be in a cape or flying to get noticed.’
It’s a meta commentary on the inner workings of the superhero universe as a whole, but also on the little people trying to break through in a tough industry environment.

Also, I thought the VFX team did good, especially in the last part.
Well, the un-photorealistic CGI is excused by the film's direct exposé of how real-yet-unreal CGI is. The film has a paradoxical relationship with CGI because it literally villainizes/weaponizes it while still relying heavily on it. I think it can be argued that the (intentionally? bad) CGI of the film comments on modern audiences' gullibility in easily accepting CGI within cinematic verisimilitude. It's very open to interpretation and I can see this film being used as an example in many cinema studies books about the relationship between CGI and realism in the future.

Well, the film's shoddy CGI is excused by the film's direct exposé of how real-yet-unreal CGI is. The film has a paradoxical relationship with CGI because it literally villainizes/weaponizes it while still relying heavily on it. I think it can be argued that the (intentionally? bad) CGI of the film comments on modern audiences' gullibility in easily accepting CGI within cinematic verisimilitude. It's very open to interpretation and I can see this film being used as an example in many cinema studies books about the relationship between CGI and realism in the future.

@anarchy: eh, I don't know which one of your posts is your preferred one so I give you the option to keep one and delete the other.
Otherwise I'll have to delete one for you (which is probably going to be the second post)

merge 'em

This was much better than I thought it would be. They finally gave Angourie Rice some good material to play with, so I wouldn't be able to hate the film, anyway :D .
There's stuff that work and stuff that don't;
Stuff that don't: the part in
Austria,
MJ (it's a very strange character, and it sometimes feel writing wise that they don't have the skills to do it justice), Happy, directing and editing of the action sequences
But then there's that scene in
Berlin
which just felt so different from whatever the MCU had offered us until now, visually.
Like when Iron Man crawls off his grave, and the last shot in the train
. It felt much more experimental and less machinery than what Marvel usually is. It's one of the best sequences of the MCU, imo. And I hope it announces a visually more ambitious phase 4.
It's much better than Homecoming, which was not really good. But it's not as good as Winter Soldier or GOTG V2, as sequel go.

I read somewhere they actually go to
Amsterdam
in this film. How's that?

Not Amsterdam, but Netherland. And I like Netherland, but I don't think it's really like it's described in the film... Cause if it is, then I'm moving there right now!