2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
war movie puts it in the realm of possibilities for winning BP, however extremely unlikely

unlike Fury Road and Gravity, it's got the advantage of being a masterpiece and taking place during WWII

Jedisunscreen wrote:Is....

.....is this the year?
I think it very well may be.

@Michaelf2225: they robbed SPR... Which may be in this films' advantage *correct oops smiley here*

Dunkirk doesn't have a likelihood or unlikelihood of winning. It's honestly very tough to say. It's not just what other movies come out, it's what the political climate of those movies will be and the narratives spun around the filmmakers, etc.

But right now it's tough to imagine it not getting nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Editing, Best Cinematography, Sound, production design, etc.

but wins?

We don't even know what this will be competing with yet let alone how the movies are that we already do know about (Blade Runner, The Papers, blahblahblah).

-Vader

Whether Dunkirk wins Best Picture is up for debate, but its nomination feels secure. It's Nolan's best reviewed film since TDK.

Nolan might actually have a better shot at winning Best Director than the film does at winning Best Picture. For what it's worth, there seems to be a trend lately with Best Director going to technically accomplished films.

2016 - Damien Chazelle - La La Land
2015, 2014 - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu - The Revenant, Birdman
2013 - Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
2012 - Ang Lee - Life of Pi

Nolan and Dunkirk would certainly fit that trend.

Gravity is theme park ride. Dunkirk is not.

A good comparison would be La La Land. Almost identical reviews.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
This is definitely getting a lot of noms. I'd say at this point the only guaranteed wins are the sound categories. Although best director is a more likely win than best picture. In the last 5 years they've been giving it out to the director with the most ambitious vision. And it's hard to see another film this year be more ambitious than Dunkirk.

Also I think best visual effects may be harder for Dunkirk to get, than we're all giving it credit for. It has a lot of competition from the likes of Planet Of The Apes, Blade Runner, and The Last Jedi.

Vader182 wrote:Other than screenplay, which I'd be shocked if it even got a nom.
Really? If they're in the tank for it, I think it's a reasonable option (since it's probably as remarkable as the directorial effort).

True about the directors winning.

As for VFX, sure, 400 shots is not a whole lot but lets not kid ourselves, they were indistinguishable from the real deal. They finally reached that point and I highly doubt other contenders will even get to that level, let alone really impress (ok so far probably BR2049 but still). Interstellar's VFX are still miles ahead of what regular blockbusters have this year. I mean ffs. Luckily it did win that lol

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Other than screenplay, which I'd be shocked if it even got a nom.
Really? If they're in the tank for it, I think it's a reasonable option (since it's probably as remarkable as the directorial effort).
The screenplay may be interpreted as a feat of editing more than a feat of writing.

-Vader

In addition to its theatrical release, “Dunkirk” had its official Academy voters screening on Saturday night in Beverly Hills. To all reports it drew a completely packed and raptly attentive house to the 1,000-seat Samuel Goldwyn Theater, and when it ended the film was met with sustained applause that lasted through much of the credits.

Even considering that at this time of year academy members can bring up to three guests to screenings, the early evening line snaking blocks around the Goldwyn indicated a high level of anticipation. The turn-away crowd for the 7:30 p.m. show resulted in the academy adding a second presentation at 10 p.m.

When “Dunkirk” ended and the credits rolled, Nolan’s name elicited a roar of approval and the majority of the audience — perhaps unaccustomed to a Nolan movie running under two hours — stayed in their seats until the lights came up.

Afterward, academy members — those able to articulate their thoughts after the grueling film — expressed admiration, calling it a “tour de force,” “gut-wrenching,“ “astonishing,” “extraordinary” and, yes, a “masterpiece.” Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema (BAFTA-nominated for “Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” and “Interstellar,” but still looking for his first Oscar nod), composer Hans Zimmer and the film’s sound design team were singled out.
http://www.thewrap.com/dunkirk-and-detr ... nth-early/

According to Scott Feinberg from Hollywood Reporter:
Christopher Nolan’s Dunkirk — which opened on Friday, and for which there was an overflow and very appreciative crowd at the Academy on Saturday night
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rac...k-boal-1023582