2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Pretty pleased with Three Billboards' wins. McDormand was divine in that film, fuck.

Also my boy Oldman :clap:

Really nice that Franco won

A pity Maggie Gyllenhaal didn't for The Deuce, that was her best work yet.

So this "all-male" thing going on is incredibly annoying and void of any common sense.

Quell wrote:So this "all-male" thing going on is incredibly annoying and void of any common sense.
How? You fear that it'll reach the point where men won't be included in anything at all?

I can empathise with people who want to see more women, different ethnic and social groups represented in Film but at the same time I have to say that that in and of itself is not real progress; it's superficial change that might entail that the structures of the film industry, which are linked to the corporate power of the studios, are not going to be challenged. A more diverse corporate boardroom is nice but it is still just a corporate boardroom.

I see Chastain is getting some hate here...
I love her and I think she wasn't offensive or disrespectful at all.

Nolan seem to have an RBF :D

The thing about Portman's comment is that there should be more women directors who make movies "good enough" for voters so they could be nominated for best director. I for one was surprised that Greta Gerwig wasn't nominated.
Last edited by Tarssauce on January 8th, 2018, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Opening monologue was great.

Chastain and Portman were both cringey. And Chastain was evidently really, really nervous the whole night, not a single line of hers landed.

Hey, anyone here got nervous in front of the crowd? No? Never, not even in high school?

Can't wait to see some of you continue hating on Chastain, confusing her private/public life (and, frankly, often exhausting tweets) with what you believe is a quality performance.

BlairCo wrote:So I guess Greta Gerwig's work as a first-time director didn't impress you all that much?
I don't know because I'm not granted all the information the Golden Globes and Academy Awards are presented when deciding, nor have I seen the movie. Lady Bird could be an amazing movie, but when there's 9 times more movies from male directors and more great movies than you can count, maybe you shouldn't immediately implicate sexism.

Oku
AhmadAli95 wrote:I see Chastain is getting some hate here...
I love her and I think she wasn't offensive or disrespectful at all.

Nolan seem to have an RBF :D

The thing about Portman's comment is that there should be more women directors who make movies "good enough" for voters so they could be nominated for best director. I for one was surprised that Greta Gerwig wasn't nominated.
Reminds me of this one forum-poster on another forum that I read about, who reportedly had such an incredible hatred of Ms. Chastain that he/she would go on rants against her, one of them I think being about how Ms. Chastain had so few Twitter followers for a celebrity of her magnitude, how few Retweets her Tweets got, and how this was supposedly the nail in the coffin for her celebrity...my memory is fading.

But it was quite the eyebrow-raiser; if anyone knows what I'm talking about, feel free to help and link the post.

The highlights for me was seeing del Toro winning, I haven’t seen The Shape of Water yet but I'm ecstatic that he is finally get his due recognition. The level of love and handcrafted care he puts in his work gets me in everyone of one of his film.

And seeing Tommy Wiseau on stage. That was unbelievable.
Last edited by cooldude on January 8th, 2018, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oku, lmfao that is so obsessive, if only such people devoted all of that energy towards better things in life

Anyway. I like Chastain. I don't think what she said was "controversial" or offensive, it's just that it's plain obvious she was super nervous for some reason and it seems like it hindered whatever she tried to say. But she also butchered Saoirse Ronan's name lol. Twice.

I'm more puzzled by Portman tbh. I get her point, but I also don't. Was that supposed to be an edgy statement? Because it didn't feel that way? It just came off as petty and kinda disrespectful to the nominees; it's as if they're actually guilty that they were nominated. Come on. These people work their asses off just as much for these films, it's embarrassing that deserving female directors didn't get nominated, but will shitting in others' cereals like that achieve anything? :roll:

It sucks Gerwig wasn't nominated - I have not yet seen Ladybird, so I'm going off what others have said, it definitely seems like she deserved a nom. But the competition is pretty tight this year? Maybe it's time to make some more room in the directors category?