Roma (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Numbers wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:59 pm
Allstar wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 8:50 pm
I think I’ll do just fine on my 65 inch 4K HDR TV with surround sound.
Same, but having seen this in theaters, I'd still suggest making the trip if possible.
It'll be fine on your set-up, but still better in an auditorium (just make sure the theater you choose has a *great* sound system).
Oh I’m well aware. I would worry about having a similar experience to Vader’s second view though.

I'm thankful that my theater didn't have the sound problems that were discussed here. Everything went smoothly!

Allstar wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 9:03 pm
Oh I’m well aware. I would worry about having a similar experience to Vader’s second view though.
I missed that post, but yeah, I can certainly see reason for concern.

Allstar wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 9:03 pm
If you're confident the theater's picture and sound will be solid I emphatically recommend you see it in that setting. I genuinely believe the experience I had the first time can't be completely replicated at home. It's as a somatic and visceral experience as Gravity, if not more so.

If you're not confident, do your best at home obviously.

It's just an unfortunate situation where, due to the outrageous demands Netflix has made of theaters and the industry-wide boycott of Netflix movies by major chains, the most serious film fans are forced to choose between smaller art movie exhibition theaters and at home.

-Vader

Had some time to think it over. So here are some thots.

Sound mixing
I thought it was super clever during the scenes with the fuckbo y. When they are in the bedroom, you hear his voice at the back of the theater when he is off screen. And I think it happens again during the confrontation. Using sound to represent how distant he is from Cleo was really clever of Cuaron to do. It's a nice touch that I really liked.
The symbolism of water
water plays a part during three important scenes in this movie. When Cleo takes a shower after spending the night with her boyfriend. She's washing away her girlhood and entering womanhood since her body is preparing for pregnancy. The hail during the scene where she tells Sofia that she might be pregnant and how it represents the turmoil she is going through on the inside. Then the beach scene where she saves Sofi. She is cleansed of her supposed sins and the bad feelings she had towards her baby.
Probably film analysis 101 stuff but please feel free to add to it.

Can't wait to see this as soon as possible. Just need to convince my friend with a badass TV/sound setup to watch it with me.

Also it just occured, from the reviews I've read so far it seems like there is a chance that Cuaron might walk away with a bunch of Oscars when time comes. Since he's the producer, director, writer, cinematographer and editor it feels weird if he doesn't win at least a few.

Might see this in Amsterdam this sunday, they got a 4K projector.

This is coming out in 30 minutes? No more excuses to not see it.

The more I think about it, I think this will be remembered as the best film of the decade and the 21st century so far. It has that epic-ness to be one of the greats. Won't be surprised to see this in a curriculum alongside Bicycle Thieves and 8 1/2 etc.
Vader182 wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 5:02 am
Saw this theatrically a second tonight but don't be rushed to tell me I was lucky.

It was at a Chicago art-house theater, and the picture and sound quality sucked. Mix was disastrously low to the point you could barely hear people talk, picture was slightly out of focus. These lower-end theaters Roma is likely at seriously question whether Roma would be better served at home on a soundbar, loud as you want, and on a 50 inch TV than in an experience like this.

it makes you wonder, Roma has maybe one of the best sound mixes of all time, and as more and more prestige filmmakers go to netflix, this problem will continue. Scruggs was only shown here as well. The greatest artists of our time will either have their movies exhibited super shittily, or their stuff will go straight to you at home.

Not to be cynical, but "Death of cinema" indeed.

(For the Chicago natives here, i saw it at landmark)

-Vader
Also finally saw this in the Landmark. Not as bad as I worried, maybe they fixed the issues. It's not as crisp as the AMC projection but I honestly didn't mind that little bit of softness, since it's a movie about memory after all. Still, I know this should be watched according to the filmmaker's intentions. But it was honestly so minor that I wouldn't have noticed had I not seen it crisper before. Sound was fine in terms of loudness. Just really wish I can see this in Atmos.

Better late than never on the sound. My group all complained dialogue was so low we wouldn't have understood it if there weren't subtitles (were the film in english).

And yes, it'll be up there. I mean, check this out:

https://www.metacritic.com/feature/film ... es-of-2018

Roma's lead from the rest of 2018 is unprecedented as long as Metacritic has been tabulating these articles. It's remarkable. It's the fact Cuaron not only invokes Tarkovsky and Fellini (and Rules of the Game), but made a film that equals them.

-Vader

What a lead, that's nuts.