Roma (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 12:51 pm
This is one of the best looking and best sounding movies certainly this year if not probably ever and it severely bums me out most of you won't be able to have a theatrical experience.

This was made for the big screen in a way very few movies actually are. If that's the price everyone pays for Roma existing, it's a steep price but probably justifiable.

-Vader
damn. like, it's great that Netflix acquired it, and people who wouldn't have normally will be able to see it, but their distribution model is asinine

i'm sure Cauron didn't intend for 95% of people to watch it on their phone/TV

it'll get a theatrical release if it gets them statues

Idk. Before I saw the movie I was extremely anti-Netflix and sure anything could've been better than Netflix for distributing this movie. But after seeing it I completely understand why. Due to the "inaccessibility" (b&w, Spanish, 1970s Mexico setting), a traditional rollout would not get it to that many theaters anyway, even if it miraculously wins BP (kind of like The Hurt Locker). Netflix will give this so much promo that I think ultimately there will be more people who see this because of it.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 1:01 pm
Vader182 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 12:51 pm
This is one of the best looking and best sounding movies certainly this year if not probably ever and it severely bums me out most of you won't be able to have a theatrical experience.

This was made for the big screen in a way very few movies actually are. If that's the price everyone pays for Roma existing, it's a steep price but probably justifiable.

-Vader
damn. like, it's great that Netflix acquired it, and people who wouldn't have normally will be able to see it, but their distribution model is asinine

i'm sure Cauron didn't intend for 95% of people to watch it on their phone/TV
Better that than even fewer theatres with far more scattershot time-wise global release (case in point: COLD WAR).

The problem here is Cuaron insisting on Atmos only, which are mostly in big chains who'll refuse to book it. Ironic given most of the fest screenings including the Venice world premiere weren't in the format.

I know a theater that showed Greengrass' 22 July, I hope they'll screen Roma as well.

Is this too art house for the academy or does it have any legit chance at BP?£

Master Virgo wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 7:10 pm
I'll answer you in another way: Roma's greatest confound is that its already going to win best foreign film, not that it's too art house.

Plus the Academy adores the Three Amigos.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 10:21 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
I'll answer you in another way: Roma's greatest confound is that its already going to win best foreign film, not that it's too art house.

-Vader
If Cuaron wins best director this year 5 out of the last 6 best director winners are one of the 3 amigos. :lol: Insane.

Random Q Vader but do you plan on seeing Paul Dano's Wildlife soon?

Allstar wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 10:45 pm
Vader182 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 10:21 pm
Master Virgo wrote:

-Vader
If Cuaron wins best director this year 5 out of the last 6 best director winners are one of the 3 amigos. :lol: Insane.

Random Q Vader but do you plan on seeing Paul Dano's Wildlife soon?
It actually screened the same night as Roma, Mulligan was there but I chose Roma instead. I think it opens in Chicago sometime this month. We'll see when. Between my day job and whatever else life is super busy and going to the theaters 1-2x a week (CIFF excluded) I can still barely keep up with everything.

Halloween, Mid90s too. I'm interested in it though.

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:
To be honest it's not that arthouse, it's pretty melodramatic and deals with topical issues that will be right up the Academy's alley. But I can't really think of a narrative for this film to build a campaign on, and Cuaron's already been recently awarded. And of course the biggest hurdles are its language and studio.