Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DREAMER wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 6:32 am
Would Ramsey take the Bond director role if it was offered her way ?
Cant imagine her doing a tentpole film and ,likely,being creatively restricted,much like we've supposedly found here out with regards Danny Boyle.
Though I've been wrong before,perfect example being recently with Rian Johnson.

I do love Ramsey's work though.We Need To Talk About Kevin really got under my skin in a good way.

Oh,and Life Is Beautiful is a really great film.
One of those films where I seem to recommend it to everyone I meat yet they still dont check it out.There loss. ;)
Well, we still don't know exactly why Boyle left. I don't think it's because of the script, that seemed sort of done?
I think Ramsay would seriously consider directing Bond, if she got the job offer. It's quite something to be the first female director for Bond wouldn't you say so?

Nomis wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 6:37 am
DREAMER wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 6:32 am
Would Ramsey take the Bond director role if it was offered her way ?
Cant imagine her doing a tentpole film and ,likely,being creatively restricted,much like we've supposedly found here out with regards Danny Boyle.
Though I've been wrong before,perfect example being recently with Rian Johnson.

I do love Ramsey's work though.We Need To Talk About Kevin really got under my skin in a good way.

Oh,and Life Is Beautiful is a really great film.
One of those films where I seem to recommend it to everyone I meat yet they still dont check it out.There loss. ;)
Well, we still don't know exactly why Boyle left. I don't think it's because of the script, that seemed sort of done?
I think Ramsay would seriously consider directing Bond, if she got the job offer. It's quite something to be the first female director for Bond wouldn't you say so?
Without a doubt.

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

This was a bonkers movie but also a lot of fun. Ken Russell just liked to play guys who don't care what kind of problems the world throws at them, he faces them and often with a confident smile. In this film he plays Jack Burton, a truck driver who 'loses' said truck in Chinatown and who has many supernatural encounters that challenge his ideas of reality. The film has lots of cool martial arts fights and the resulting action is lots of fun, thanks to Carpenter's direction. The jokes are funny and there are some rather interesting characters that Jack encounters along the way. While the dialogue is at times overly expository, it doesn't distract from the strange story of ancient Chinese spirits and magic at all. It's a mix of multiple genres that manages to be engaging and enjoyable and its practical effects are also rather impressive.

8/10

i liked Crazy Rich Asians more than Solo

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 6:46 pm

-Vader
So it's more than competent?

The joys of Solo for me are the deep lore cuts. It's not an overly impressive film. Although oddly giving Lando more backstory bolstered ROTJ a little bit for me.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 7:08 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
So it's more than competent?

The joys of Solo for me are the deep lore cuts. It's not an overly impressive film. Although oddly giving Lando more backstory bolstered ROTJ a little bit for me.
More than competent but not good enough to transcend the ceiling of its genre.

Honestly, Crazy Rich Asians reinforces my long held belief about the true power of diversity of voices in storytelling. It's not the moral argument so much as simple by virtue of their diversity, they are new, and newness is one of the most enjoyable experiences in storytelling as a whole. There's a sincere thrill in finding new flavors or perspectives in old tropes or contexts, never better seen than with Black Panther, and the same is here too.

And we're in agreement with Solo. It oddly scratched the old "EU" itch better than anything has in years.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Why the comparison though?

Allstar wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 10:30 pm
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Why the comparison though?
traditionally random rom coms are thought of as slight and stupid and star wars movies as cultural phenomenons and important and good but the opposite was true in this case

-Vader

Well like you said Crazy Rich Asians is not "random" due to the cast alone and Star Wars movies are becoming less and less a cultural phenomenon and that will continue.

Allstar wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 10:43 pm
Well like you said Crazy Rich Asians is not "random" due to the cast alone and Star Wars movies are becoming less and less a cultural phenomenon and that will continue.
not really, Crazy Rich Asians is still a rom com and if Solo was actually really good it would've had a waaaaay bigger footprint than it did

-Vader