Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Rushmore
I really liked this and it was really interesting see Anderson's style beginning to develop, but compared to Anderson's other work (Darjeeling, Budapest, Fantastic Mr. Fox, not to even mention the other films I watched the past few days), this pales to stand out to me honestly. However, the three leads are all fantastic and everything in this film is handled extremely well and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.
Last edited by Bacon on September 10th, 2016, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bacon wrote:Rushmore
I really liked this and it was really interesting see Anderson's style beginning to develop, but compared to Anderson's other work (Darjeeling, Budapest, Fantastic Mr. Fox, not to even mention the other films I watched the past few days), this pales to stand out to me honestly. However, he three leads are all fantastic and everything in this film is handled extremely well and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.
Rushmore and Life Aquatic benefit the most from rewatches tbh. I was lukewarm on them, especially Rushmore, but now love them. Bacon if you want to go reaaally far out of your comfort zone I'd love to share with you some of Wes' biggest influences from the classics ;).

-Vader

Seriously Tenenbaums though. Seminal Hackman.

Vader - surely Day for Night is first port of call?

Vader182 wrote: Rushmore and Life Aquatic benefit the most from rewatches tbh. I was lukewarm on them, especially Rushmore, but now love them. Bacon if you want to go reaaally far out of your comfort zone I'd love to share with you some of Wes' biggest influences from the classics ;).

-Vader
serious question

would it be overly controversial for me to have The Life Aquatic as my favorite Wes Anderson film?

because i watched his whole filmography relatively recently and for whatever reason i just fell in love with it

I tried watching The Sea of Trees but fell asleep with the first 15 minutes. I'll give it another go after work, but it was soooooooooooooo dull. Like for the people who thought The Tree of Life was boring, wait till you see Matthew McConaghuey walking around in a forest for 15 minutes.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Seriously Tenenbaums though. Seminal Hackman.

Yeah. Broad strokes Truffaut and Godard. Band of Outsiders, 400 Blows, etc.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:Seriously Tenenbaums though. Seminal Hackman.

Yeah. Broad strokes Truffaut and Godard. Band of Outsiders, 400 Blows, etc.

-Vader
I just downloaded this earlier in the week, which would be my first Godard film. Looking forward to it tomorrow

That's a great place to start. The dance in the cafe sequence is alone worth the watch.

EDIT: Keep an eye out on how Godard may or may not have influenced another modern "Auteur" Tarantino... beyond naming his production company after the movie in question.

-Vader

Bande à part is Godard's most accessible film, so it is a great starter. However, Godard's films are either easily engaging or not at all. For example, I dug Une Femme Est Une Femme even though it is loathed but a lot of people, and what is probably Godard's most celebrated film, À bout de souffle, I didn't really enjoy all that much. The only others I have seen are Le Petit Soldat and Pierot le Fou, which is my favourite Godard.

must not forget: