Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
A Face in the Crowd (Dir. Elia Kazan; 1957)

it's eerie how relevant this film is holy shit

Journey to Italy (1954)

This is the second Rossellini I watched after Rome, Open City, so really don't have much idea how his filmmaking transitioned over this period, but Voyage is starkly different in style from Rome. Felt like a precursor to French New Wave. A very interesting case study on marriage, though far more sympathetic towards Bergman whereas Sanders was a perpetual asshole. And the ending didn't feel earned from his character's perspective. Bergman I feel was off the charts. It's her pain, confusion, yearning and love I felt.

4/5

The Room: lol this was ridiculous, can't wait to see the Disaster Artist

Loving

Still holds up on second viewing. I'm astonished this was not nominated for more awards. It's such an awe-inspiring tale that does not bang the drum home in showing the discrimination of the times. It's a simple narrative, yet feels utterly powerful in its quiet little moments. The chemistry between Edgerton and Negga is so pure and believable. I wish more people saw this; it's seriously super under-appreciated.

Lady Bird (Dir. Greta Gerwig; 2017)

It's great. Coming from a Catholic high school, I really enjoyed Gerwig's portrayal of that environment even if it was quite a bit exaggerated. Some of the subtler bits in there were so on the money, I have to believe she went to one herself. Some stilted dialogue and bland camerawork and direction is made up for by how truthful and enjoyable the film is. It's hilarious. There are pieces I didn't care for, but I walked away loving the movie as a whole. Greta, you've got yourself a new fan.

Michaelf2225 wrote:Lady Bird (Dir. Greta Gerwig; 2017)

It's great. Coming from a Catholic high school, I really enjoyed Gerwig's portrayal of that environment even if it was quite a bit exaggerated. Some of the subtler bits in there were so on the money, I have to believe she went to one herself. Some stilted dialogue and bland camerawork and direction is made up for by how truthful and enjoyable the film is. It's hilarious. There are pieces I didn't care for, but I walked away loving the movie as a whole. Greta, you've got yourself a new fan.
Well she did go to a catholic school because lady bird is her and it’s based on her life.

becoming a master: the ultimate pokemon experience (1999)

moving and heartbreaking documentary movie film about the loneliness and despair.

solid 8

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
Director : W. D. Richter

For a film that has been tagged as a cult movie, and has quite a established fan base (by all accounts). And a film with a creative wacky title as The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai it should elicit a overriding sense of a entertaining manic joyride with creativity on overdrive but unfortunately, for me atleast, it was largely a incoherent, badly acted ,unfunny mess.

Had it not been for some of the films little creative novelties, over the top bright 80’s get up and the off kilter performance from the films main bright spark John Lithgow ,as Dr Emilio Lizardo, I may have totally given up on the film in the first 30 minutes.
But I didn’t. I soldiered on. Unfortunately.

★½
That star is for you,Lithgow.All for you.Enjoy it.

The Treasure of The Sierra Madre (1948)

I really loved this movie! I got to see it on the big screen since Fathom Events was doing a 70th Anniversary showing.

Fantastic acting from everyone and really great dialogue.

12 Years A Slave
Know I was late to the party on this one. It's a really solid movie, the writing was phenomenal. Only complaints I have are:
Zimmer's score was underwhelming. It wasn't bad, just not very exciting compared to other dramas/period pieces he's done. And I really thought Nyong'o was gonna be in it more, did not expect her role to be that small. Also, not sure if it was the silly beard, but Pitt felt totally misplaced in the scenes he were in.

8/10