Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 7:37 pm
Ruth wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 4:49 pm
if cooper wins allstar’s just going to log out for a week
Lol, idc if Cooper wins at all. Dodd is just obnoxious. That being said watch out for Bale to steal it. And Dodd I’ll take the deal even though he’s prob going to win. Nothing to lose.

Cooper is the front-runner and has the biggest chance. Bale has a smaller chance because of Oldman. I think the academy won't be willing to give an oscar for a huge transformation a second year in a row.

A Star is Born (2018) was amazing, definitely one of the best films of the year.

LelekPL wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 3:29 am
Cooper is the front-runner and has the biggest chance. Bale has a smaller chance because of Oldman. I think the academy won't be willing to give an oscar for a huge transformation a second year in a row.
Bigger obstacle is who he's playing. Academy rarely rewards characters that are loathsome

What do you mean? Like, actual persons or fiction-awful persons? Some "killers" have won :P

Nomis wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 6:19 pm
What do you mean? Like, actual persons or fiction-awful persons? Some "killers" have won :P
They've won Best Actor? I can only think of a very small selection

Hopkins for Lecter in Lambs. Bates for Wilkes in Misery to name two that come to mind at this very moment.

Nomis wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 6:32 pm
Hopkins for Lecter in Lambs. Bates for Wilkes in Misery to name two that come to mind at this very moment.
Yeah. There are exceptions but generally it's a good guy. 18/90 are either bad dudes or questionable dudes. Support is a different story altogether

DDL in TWBB, Whitaker in TLKoS, Denzel in Training Day, Douglas in Wall Street, maybe F. Murray Abraham in Amadeus and the aforementioned Hopkins... There's been a few baddies winning Oscars in modern cinema.

This was quite alright. Great performances of Cruz and Bardem, as always.