Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Paris,Texas is excellent,comfortably my 2nd favourite Wenders film after Wings Of Desire.

Still one of the very best thrillers ever made. Perfect. Wonderful remaster, too.

The Lion King

I watched the German dub, which was great. Haven't seen this film in years but now I don't feel the need to see a live-action version of this anytime soon.

Silence Of The Lambs is good,though I've always preferred Mann's ManHunter and Brian Cox's performance as Hannibal Lecktor over Hopkins if I were to compare.

Inside Llewyn Davis
Director : Joel and Ethan Cohen
Year : 2013

Where this is will go in my favourites from the Coen's is up for debate but I generally enjoyed this sombre tale about the gruff,down and out inner city folk singer Llewyn Davis,successfully performed by Oscar Isaac as the lead.

★★★½

How so Cox over Hopkins though? Manhunter overall never clicked for me. It's not that Red Dragon is a much better film, because it's not Silence of the Lambs level good to begin with but to me it's a lot of fun. Manhunter fails to impress me on basically every level.

Hopkins commands the screen, he's entirely encapsulating you. It also helps that The Silence of the Lambs has such an incredibly tight script and all other factors run the best they can as well. It's a wonderful part and Hopkins aces it. I think it's his best Lecter performance. It's a pity Demme didn't adapt Hannibal and that Foster also didn't return.

I must admit, Mikkelsen makes a great Lecter too. I loved Hannibal's second season, third season was also good. It's a pity they never got around to adapting The Silence of the Lambs. It would've been interesting to see that adapted on TV.

Demme was wise not to get involved in the nonsense that was Hannibal.£

Prefer Cox's,though he has a shorter screen time than Hopkins,primarily because he's subtle.The monster is far more internal.Outwardly he also comes across more humane,which I find more uncomfortable.

Hopkins on the other-hand shows more eccentricity and craziness. You can understand why he is and where he is.His Machiavellian tendencies are just far too overemphasised for me in Silence Of The Lambs.

Simply put,you know Hopkins Lector is bad because he acts bad.There's no uncertainty there for me as a viewer.No seed of doubt.The opposite to Cox.

Concerning ManHunter and Silence Of The Lambs,You're right regarding the looseness of Manhunter,though I see that as one of it's strengths in-comparison to Silence Of The Lambs which ticks along with strict perfection.

Saying this Silence Of The Lambs is a film I have been meaning to revisit,though I have little interest in its sequels which,by all accounts,has Hopkins play-up Lector even more.

Master Virgo wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 2:49 pm
Demme was wise not to get involved in the nonsense that was Hannibal.£
The film or do you mean the source material. I still need to read them all btw.

@Dreamer: Then we have to agree to disagree lol as we can't see into each others reasonings.

Saw this for the first time five years ago. Masterpiece.

Have not seen Red Dragon, but Manhunter is a terrific detective film.

Last edited by Numbers on September 14th, 2018, 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.