Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Night of the Hunter (1955) - ultimately really haunting and audacious, with some of the most stunning imagery ever, but it honestly surprised me how much portions of the film (and its characters) bordered on being so goofy.. that I personally struggled to connect with it. But yeah. It's properly creepy. And so incredibly well lit and shot.

Carnival of Souls (1962)
A rather effective ghost story and the ending is really eerie and recontextualises everything that came before. I also can appreciate that the main character is rather averse to social interactions, which at times makes her seem less sympathetic but, given her circumstances, it is also understandable. This is how you make a good atmospheric horror film on a low budget.

8/10

Hunger and Shame
Not really the best films to boost your moral in the middle of lockdown, but impressed by how far McQueen and Fassbender went. These are films that really hit you, and are hard to forget, also I love how objective the narration is. Not only is there no pathos, but there is also no obvious point of view. The scene between Cunningham and Fassbender is great too, and a good example of how objective the camera is.

By the way, here is the list of films I've seen for the first time since 1st January, that I'd rate 10/10:
Little Women (Gerwig), The wind rises, Elephant Man, Tenet, Gravity. Except The wind rises that I watched on repeat for one week, I was lucky enough to discover all the others in cinema.

if y'all didnt listen to artemis listen to me The Heiress bangs hard

theatrical styling mixed with mike leigh levels of authentic characters and specific situations. it's tight and composed yet /alive/. to me it's very noble in that all the drama of the film is exclusively drawn from the characters and how they would react to one another. makes me wanna reconsider ben hur
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on November 20th, 2020, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i'll watch it but also

whats better than Terminator 2

nothing

-Vader

The Brand New Testament.

Really liked this film. Quite funny but with certain depth as well. The entire movie gave me a bit of Bruce Almighty, Magnolia and The Truman Show vibes. Even if it doesn’t for any of you (or if you don’t like the aforementioned films), I think it’s worth it to check it out.
Last edited by Paradoxicalparabola on November 20th, 2020, 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vader182 wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 11:17 pm
i'll watch it but also

whats better than Terminator 2

nothing

-Vader
i wiped out pretty bad on my bike when i was like 15. i wasn't wearing a helmet so i had a big gash on my eyebrow thats kinda still there. i decided the best thing to do was immediately walk home and watch terminator 2 with my brother. i feel that speaks highly of the film somehow

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
November 20th, 2020, 11:13 pm
if y'all didnt listen to artemis listen to me The Heiress bangs hard

theatrical styling mixed with mike leigh levels of authentic characters and specific situations. it's tight and composed yet /alive/. to me it's very noble in that all the drama of the film is exclusively drawn from the characters and how they would react to one another. makes me wanna reconsider ben hur
I couldn't connect to this as much as I thought I would. It was always Olivia de Havilland, the actress and not Catherine, the character on screen. The transformation of Catherine was absolutely blunt which just didn't work for me.

The Letter, The Little Foxes and Mrs. Miniver are far more terrific works from the great man. But his most underrated film has to be The Collector.

The Broken Hearts Gallery (2020)

My first film in cinemas since the first lockdown. Kept me engaged despite have all the cliches associated with the genre. Geraldine Vishwanathan is the definition of charming.

i dunno man she realized shed been playing herself and her dad died, how else should she have reacted?

Y'all talking about Wyler yet not mentioning his masterpiece Roman Holiday?
It's such an incredible film, quite better than Terminator 2... (sorry, not sorry)