Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Just got back from a special screening. Impressive film. It has a slow pacing, but once the story gets more clear in the first act you are continually engaged. Loved the lead performance of Yana Drouz.

Hell Or Highwater- 7.5/10

It's good.

Nomis wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 5:42 pm
Not my cup of tea. Like S. Craig Zahler's Brawl in Cell Block 99 it focuses too much on the excessive violence and fails to deepen the characters. It's a joyless film with little heart and a lot of horror.
The last third is horrifically ridiculous that it took out any sense of seriousness I was investing in beforehand.
If Brawl in Cell Block 99 follows a similar finale then I dont think I have a great deal of interest in checking that particular Zahler film out.

DREAMER wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 7:53 am

The last third is horrifically ridiculous that it took out any sense of seriousness I was investing in beforehand.
If Brawl in Cell Block 99 follows a similar finale then I dont think I have a great deal of interest in checking that particular Zahler film out.
Exactly.

Cell Block 99 is also crazy violent but I was more invested in that story than with Bone Tomahawk. I guess you just have to check it out for yourself lol have fun

Nomis wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 8:52 am
DREAMER wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 7:53 am

Exactly.

Cell Block 99 is also crazy violent but I was more invested in that story than with Bone Tomahawk. I guess you just have to check it out for yourself lol have fun
I will likely checkout Brawl in Cell Block 99 purely down to Vince Vaughn who's in abit of a renaissance lately.

Hopefully watching Mandy (2018) tonight.That seems nuts.

A worthy remake. Very good. Garland radiates. I think the biggest downside of this film is that some of the songs go on for too long and resulting in the film being a tad too long. The ending was very touching though, I think more so than the original. Interested in the 1976 film, which is up next.

The Master

The film clicked with me on this viewing. Still not sure if I grasp exactly what PTA was going for, but I definitely got something out of it either way.

Bacon wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 7:31 pm
The Master

The film clicked with me on this viewing. Still not sure if I grasp exactly what PTA was going for, but I definitely got something out of it either way.
if this is constructive, this is my take at the time:
They've done it for billions of years or not at all. A popular mode of thinking in academia is finding contemporary parallel to artists long past, embodying a technique and vision lost were it not resurgent with new faces: Tarkovsky and Malick, or Hitchcock and Nolan. 2007 birthed a Kubrick renaissance in what now deserves no title less than masterpiece. There Will Be Blood featured shots easily compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey, functioning with a Kubrickian coldness and attention to detail otherwise mostly absent in contemporary cinema. The revival continued with a constitution of wild and sometimes alienating ambition, fucking the audience with subverted expectations and unresolved sensualism.

Ultimately, can man escape the animalism commanding human behavior? Processing plays like fucked up foreplay, reducing Dodd's intellectualism to a base eroticism and a yearning of affirmation from his new muse. In contrast, Freddie wrestles to impress him, initiating a mutual addiction that comes to charge the remainder of the film. Like any addiction, expectations of catharsis and release are constantly thwarted, building intimate tension that explodes in key scenes between them-often within the magnificent confines of a single shot. For a film so utterly obsessed with eroticism, either through sexual tension, nudity, suggestive glances and touches, it's nearly always only ever fleeting. It's a remarkable thing to note the film possesses not a single sex scene (other than, arguably, the very end). That too reaches no catharsis, leaving a lingering frustration in the characters, an adequate metaphor for the entire film.

Dodd is aware Freddie is untamed. He knows too, if Freddie stays, it will end badly for him, and his movement. But it is an addiction, it is compulsive, and it will never be resolved. This dynamic is a great filter through which to understand much of the film- an apparently contradictory nature unraveling strained truths difficult to face as a society, and as individuals. We must be led, just as wish to be followed, these two opposing designs hoping still to secure a sense of permanence and identity that a master may refute- a primary contradiction in American culture especially. Anderson exposes the limitations of belief in any form while highlighting the absolute necessity for guidance and emotional grounding, reinforced by the causal relationship between trauma and disposition. Battle and war fuel a rage already burning, in Freddie's case, it's a lasting incestual experience from youth- patriotism enabling and activating the darkest parts of ourselves for the good of the flag. It's here the drifter is born, combing through the crevices of society to find a place you fit.

Highlighted by a friend equally entrapped by the film, the sand woman is incredibly important. On a more superficial level, she reveals his 'quirks' to the audience, but her continued presence in the film, from the opening where he can't tear himself away from her to flashbacks in which he states longingly into her sandy breasts. Any wave will wash her away, making her crumble and fall to pieces, and her continued existence is a risk right at the edge of the tide. Equally, Freddie is fragile, likely to collapse or disintegrate, and just as susceptible to the exploitation of the water. It's not then a coincidence Freddie is seduced by a radiant party, or that it was on a boat (symbol of transference and subconscious) about to travel underneath and through an iconic American landmark.

The Master is a hopelessly inquisitive film, remembering fondly the joy of elusive, enigmatic cinema. Crafted with an unparalleled devotion in every shot, such as the camera unable to stabilize itself as Freddie gallops through a barren field or revealing sweeping vistas in creatively lit facial close ups. It penetrates the subconscious, rattling your core and wreaking havoc, leaving the viewer defeated and simultaneously invigorated, a fitting feeling to be left with from such an utterly singular and audacious film. Paul Thomas Anderson's latest tour de force has much left to be said about it- and perhaps it always will, harkening back to a cherished time where streaks of light and a classical hotel suite are a celebrated invitation for exploration.

-Vader

I agree.
Dodd's continued obsession with Freddie felt like an addiction because it was a tangible example of what he's trying to do through The Cause: to tame humanity's instinctive tendencies. Freddie acts on desire: he gets violent when he is angry, he passes an explicit note directly to a woman when desiring intimate relations, and he is a fervent alcoholic; yet there's a purity and sympathetic quality to him at all times. Even when he's engaging in romantic dialogue with a sixteen-year-old, Freddie acts as if he's on her level and that is where his mindset is; a child working toward whatever thing (or person) gratifies him.

While Freddie is instinctive, Dodd is intellectual and is struggling to prove to himself and others that he's able to eradicate his instinctual responses (he refers to how humanity is not an animal numerous times in the film). But the big significance of the film for me was how PTA created juxtaposition between the two. Dodd acts as a master that emphasizes to Freddie that he must overcome his instinctive urges, while struggling with the exact same tendencies and having a master of his own. Dodd gets motivated by sexual gratification, he gets violent when he gets angry, he approves and drinks of Freddie's alcoholic concoctions, etc. and yet Dodd seems much less sympathetic, most likely due to a feeling that he should know better and not purposefully manipulate individuals because of his "intelligence." Dodd knows he's unable to tame Freddie, and Dodd's hidden primal tendencies simultaneously show he too is unable to practice what he's preaching to Freddie.

I might be understanding it wrong, but there's enough ambiguity here that I feel I have some wiggle-room.

Yea bro

The Master is one of the few films I've seen that accurately depicts the dichotomy, or perhaps the conflict, between wanting to change oneself versus the resignation to stay the same.

And when I say accurately depicts, I'm referring more to the feeling of the thing. PTA evokes this dream-like hopelessness that makes you feel both invigorated and depressed at the same time it's kind of fucking amazing like we should be thankful we're living in the same era as this dude fo sho.