Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 9:34 am

I think in general though, Harakiri just sums up everything I've experienced, particularly this year at work and in general throughout my previous employment. It's like some kind of wish fulfilment piece in that sense. It would be banned in a business school. I think what it suggests is probably more true than ever, more relevant when you look at what goes on with social media, Trumpites, Brexiters, the whole shebang. I think the last time I had this sort of jaw agape reaction to something being so relevant is when I first saw Network ~10 years ago.
You have hyped this big time here. Always thought that I will start Kobayashi with The Human Condition, but might pick this now.

Yeah I'm gearing up for The Human Condition now. Samurai Rebellion too.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
5/10

Hereditary

Incredibly tense movie. Exactly the type of horror I love. Though angry at the ending. But may think of it differently later on.
4.5/5

Steven Spielberg adaption of Ernest Cline’s pop culture on steroids teen book Ready Player One is a inconsistent film in many ways for me.

To create a film with a concept about co-operation’s grip on ever growing greed in the gaming industry, the depressing environment we’re blindly falling into with regards to living in constant wish fulfilments in gaming and social media all the while being unconcerned with the broken economy around us had me intrigued from the get off.

And yet, with the depth in the idea and with all the many breathtakingly well-executed visuals, Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One had me yawning on more than one occasion, primarily down to a predictable storyline and, the films biggest weakness in my opinion, the blandness from not only the lead Tye Sheridan (MUD) as Parzival/Wade but the main assembled protagonist cast that teams up with him. And less said about the mind numbingly boring one dimensional antagonist Ben Mendelsohn ,whose last notable performance continues to be his scatty, edgy role in Michod’s acclaimed Australian crime-drama Animal Kingdom.

Princess Mononoke

This was phenomenal and I don't really like anime.

Bacon wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 1:53 pm
Princess Mononoke

Are we the same person Bacon...?
I just watched this yesterday for the first time. Fucking amazing. So far I’ve only seen 2 of Miyazaki’s films; Mononoke, and Spirited Away. I like Mononoke better as of right now. Wanna rewatch both though

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 4:33 pm
I'm not a Trump supporter

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
July 2nd, 2018, 4:33 pm
Bacon wrote:
Princess Mononoke

I just watched this yesterday for the first time. Fucking amazing. So far I’ve only seen 2 of Miyazaki’s films; Mononoke, and Spirited Away. I like Mononoke better as of right now. Wanna rewatch both though
Both great films,though my favourite Miyazaki film is still Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.But you can honestly sit down and watch any Miyazaki film and you'll get something out of it.

Bacon wrote:
Princess Mononoke

Other great Miyazaki films are 'Spirited Away', 'My Neighbour Totoro', 'Nausicaä and the Valley of the Winds', 'Kiki's Delivery Service' (the English dub ruins an important moment of the film so i would recommend it in Japanese). I also quite enjoy 'Howl's Moving Castle', 'Porco Rosso', and 'Laputa: Castle in the Sky'.....but 'Princess Mononoke' has a more adult tone and themes and a quiet majesty that the other films cannot match imo. Not that this makes them bad, not at all, some of them are great films, it's just that Princess Mononoke is imo his best film.