Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
WALL-E
Awesome! First act was the best though. It's probably in my top 5 favorite Pixar movies.

Image Image
Both Andrea Berntzen's Kaja in "Utøya 22. juli" and Fionn Whitehead's Tommy in "Dunkirk" is played masterfully by both, and their insane situations is to me very similar (even though there's 71 years in between the events).
Last edited by User of Interest on July 3rd, 2020, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batman Ninja was 3/5... until that third act. Then it became 2... no, is that? ...1 star. Definitely 1 star. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

m4st4 wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 2:22 pm
Batman Ninja was 3/5... until that third act. Then it became 2... no, is that? ...1 star. Definitely 1 star. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Eesh. I have it on cue, but maybe not.

Come drink with me (1966)

The wuxia movie that started it all. The swordplay was terrific. The story was decent. Unfortunately focus shifted from the female lead to the male co-lead in the last act. Overall pretty enjoyable film. Next King Hu movie to watch is Dragon Gate Inn.

Winchester '73 (1950)

This was excellent. The movie goes from one explosive scene to other effortlessly. Anthony Mann's direction is striking. Immediately made me look up more of his films. Turns out not only his westerns with James Stewart are significant films, but also his contribution to film noir as a B-movie director is top-level.

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow (1963)

In this anthology of comedies by De Sica, first one is the best. Absurdly comical with a ridiculous premise. First time I saw Loren in action. Her and Mastrianni make a nice pair.

The last phase of Mann's career is the weirdest, as a purveyor of unwieldy epics. This was also the fate of Nicholas Ray. Fun to note he was also who Kubrick replaced on Spartacus.

Ya I just knew Kubrick had replaced some director for Spartacus.

m4st4 wrote:
May 8th, 2018, 2:22 pm
Yup, such a disappointment. The animation is pretty good, though.

Thankfully Gotham by Gaslight was awesome... although the animation was pretty bad :P

The Batman and Scooby Doo movie wasn't bad either for what it was.

Wings Of Desire (1987) Re-watch.

Wings of Desire will always be my favourite Wenders film.
The overarching purity in its concept was comfortably embraced by me when I watched this many years ago. The romance combined with the spiritual notion of the after life is warmly admired here.

Yes , some viewers may get a sense of over indulgence and posturing on Wenders part regarding some of the films dialogue, most with biblical references, but, much like Tarkovsky (who along with Ozu and Truffaut are referenced at the end of the film), the beauty, intelligence and the confidence in creating a thought provoking film with such themes is ,again, admirable.

Plus it has a young Nick Cave (And the bad seeds) performing From Her To Eternity, so Yeah!

★★★★★

yeah