Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
LelekPL wrote:FOX right now is the best superhero studio.
Apocalypse was released within living memory
I may not fully agree with him but Fox's batting average is pretty solid.

However there's a real good chance that after Apocalypse and the eventual disaster that is Dark Phoenix, there won't even be a reason to discuss this. Especially when Marvel is pumping out quality stuff like Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
LelekPL wrote:FOX right now is the best superhero studio.
Apocalypse was released within living memory
idk, I think it was pretty underappreciated

like, it was kind of a nice return to early 2000s superhero campiness

Apocalypse was fine (I own it and I like it) but it hardly matches the high string of quality Fox had been releasing prior (except Fant4stic).

It's worth mentioning that Fox has also done Legion which is much better than any of these Marvel or DC tv shows that I've seen.£

Dunkirk (2017): 9/10

Blade Runner 2049 (2017): 9.5/10
Last edited by Batfan175 on October 17th, 2017, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bacon wrote:Apocalypse was fine (I own it and I like it) but it hardly matches the high string of quality Fox had been releasing prior (except Fant4stic).
It’s just forgettable fare, and it really suffers when compared against Days of Future Past.

Other than Blade Runner 2049, the most recent film I watched was...

Beyond the Black Rainbow

Loved it! Totally my kind of movie. A certain character's demise felt anticlimactic. But overall very cool.

Also saw Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA in theaters recently for its 4K restoration tour. Seen it previously but first time in theaters and it was so cool to watch it with an audience. It looked so beautiful and sounded amazing. Also saw it at the local one screen theater with a very classic red velvet curtain, pipe organ, gothic lighting vibe that added to the ambience. Pre Ordered this sexy Steelbook at Synapse Films!

Pitch Perfect

Now I have a crush on Anna Kendrick.

Raw.

One of the worst movies I've ever sat through. Pure nonsense.

Ginger Snaps (2000)

One of the best horror films I have seen in a while. You believe in the characters, the music is great, it avoids jump scares and the special effects work (for the most part). Sure, some performances are a bit over-the-top like the kid who played Jason but the ending really resonated emotionally with me because it was so sad and moving. I think for these kinds of films to work, the central conceit has to be used metaphorically for something other than being a weirdo or a loner, although the protagonist is both.

9/10