Phantom Thread (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Tourmie wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 1:16 am
This film was trash. Unbelievable how people will excuse this flimsy, lazy-ass screenwriting. If this film is "great", then what is The Godfather? Fuck everyone overrating this movie. PTA peaked with Boogie Nights.
Can you elaborate?

And please use multiple paragraphs with long sentences.

Dude called The Last Jedi one of the worst movies ever made lol. Ignore the trolls.

Tourmie wrote:
This film was trash. Unbelievable how people will excuse this flimsy, lazy-ass screenwriting. If this film is "great", then what is The Godfather? Fuck everyone overrating this movie. PTA peaked with Boogie Nights.
rule one in the "don't trust this nerd's opinion" book is "uses godfather as goodness barometer"

nelson season 2 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 1:37 am
Tourmie wrote:
rule one in the "don't trust this nerd's opinion" book is "uses godfather as goodness barometer"
Because The Godfather is not a great film and not beyond the scope of PTA's limited talents? You people need to stop confusing attempts with success. Having a great Greenwood score and some game actors doesn't mean your movie isn't a meandering mess that has zero control over the audience. PTA has no idea what he's doing anymore as a writer, and it's made his technical savvy utterly pointless. People check their watches in the cinema during Phantom Thread and then go on letterboxd talking about how it's a 5/5, "Chic!", etc. We live in an age of mass delusion and hipster bullshit.

lol @ calling anything "meandering" and loving the fuckin godfather in the same statement. you're adorable bruh

Tourmie wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 1:49 am
nelson season 2 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 1:37 am
Tourmie wrote:
Because The Godfather is not a great film and not beyond the scope of PTA's limited talents? You people need to stop confusing attempts with success. Having a great Greenwood score and some game actors doesn't mean your movie isn't a meandering mess that has zero control over the audience. PTA has no idea what he's doing anymore as a writer, and it's made his technical savvy utterly pointless. People check their watches in the cinema during Phantom Thread and then go on letterboxd talking about how it's a 5/5, "Chic!", etc. We live in an age of mass delusion and hipster bullshit.
Can you explain this? Preferably in great detail.

It’s Tourmie, guy comes in, drops the bomb, screeches, leaves for a month or two.

I’d love to hear about mass hipster hysteria though. What do you mean by that, specifically connected to how certain individuals interpret their fondness for this film.

m4st4 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 2:23 am
It’s Tourmie, guy comes in, drops the bomb, screeches, leaves for a month or two.

I’d love to hear about mass hipster hysteria though. What do you mean by that, specifically connected to how certain individuals interpret their fondness for this film.
It's all about their desire to be perceived as intelligent and possessing good taste. A movie that doesn't work is labeled "challenging" rather than "deficient". Everything that turns somebody off about a movie is repressed. I'm not with that, and will call it out whenever I see it.

Tourmie wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 2:39 am
m4st4 wrote:
January 21st, 2018, 2:23 am

It's all about their desire to be perceived as intelligent and possessing good taste. A movie that doesn't work is labeled "challenging" rather than "deficient". Everything that turns somebody off about a movie is repressed. I'm not with that, and will call it out whenever I see it.
ah, i see

we have here a plebeian

a philistine

but he knows how to structure sentences like a 15 year old high school student trying to talk all smart in his school newspaper article that no one reads

i haven't even seen this stupid movie

Tourmie wrote:
I'm with you, Tourmie. I think this movie is shit. It's awful and terrible. A disgrace to cinematic art. I want you to write a review about it, I want to hear your opinion. I trust your opinion, Tourmie. It's very important. I think people on this site are delusional and have no idea what a good movie is. Do they know what art is? I want to hear your opinion. What did this movie make you feel? How do you feel about it now? What do you think is wrong with this movie? What movies do you think are better? Answer me Tourmie. In more than 500 words, please, I need more to fully grasp what you mean. Do you think this movie is so awful that DDL quit his career out of embarrassment? Will you be boycotting PTA's movies from now on? I agree. It's awful. Please explain everything in great detail. Show them Tourmie! Fucking pretentious hipsters.

Have a good day Tourmie.