Tully (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Penguin022 wrote:I hate the title so much, but the movie looks alright.
At least it ain't Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2. :sick:

DoubleD wrote:
February 8th, 2018, 3:09 pm
Nice, they made a fun version of mother!. I'm in!

looks great. Reitman is back.

With his films and TV series, Reitman has tackled infidelity (“Up in the Air”), teen pregnancy (“Juno”), sexual relations (“Casual”), and way too many issues at once (“Men, Women & Children”). What makes Reitman one of the best filmmakers who tackles real life problems well is his approach. His characters all feel like real people where they have to face life’s harsh realities and the personal issues they must face as we all do. He keeps all his actors grounded and has them release their vulnerabilities when necessary. He knows how to deliver the emotional punch with his cast. All of his films have a similar mature theme surrounding life and how it’s not all cupcakes and rainbows.

Aside from Reitman, Cody’s original screenplay is phenomenal. The credit may say “directed by Jason Reitman” but you know this is Diablo Cody’s movie. The roles she writes for her characters have the similar characteristics where they are mostly sarcastic but the situations she puts them in are realistic trials we as people must face ourselves. Cody’s original screenplay is gut-wrenching due to a lot of elements being so natural and honest. Since the woman is a mom herself this feels as if this was Cody’s personal experiences as a mom put into narrative form.

Here's my review of Tully:

https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies/tully-review

This movie is absolutely fantastic... until the third act. Up until that point, it had a genuinely beautiful message about self-care and remembering to not burden yourself with stress. But once the third act roles around, it kind of contradicts itself. Theron is raw and you can tell she's been through this sort of experience before, and Davis is just a ray of sunshine. I just wish this movie stayed on the trajectory set up by the first 2 acts, because it probably would have ended up being my favourite movie of the year so far. You were almost there Reitman... You were almost there...

This was very good. Theron shows yet again that she isn't afraid to physically transform for the role as much as psychologically. Her character is a joy to watch even when she's completely low on energy most of the film. Mackenzie co-carries the film with her sympathetic and loving energy and the script by Diablo Cody is probably the greatest strength of Tully.🕷

You guys reminded me that I saw this and really loved it. The "fly on the wall" type feel of making you believe you're in the house with the family and watching them live their lives was spectacular. I personally loved the third act and would like to catch it again for that reason