Darkest Hour (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
can I still watch this if I haven't seen Dunkirk?

So when I saw this, I had the misfortune of being seated next to a broken speaker in the cinema, which really interfered with the impressive score and sound design. Gary Oldman is absolutely incredible and gets my personal vote for best actor of 2017.

One thing that I didn't expect was how funny the film would be. Churchill was always known for his sense of humour but I expected the film to downplay it or ground the surrounding people of his life more. I really appreciated that, and it added a lot.

There's a couple of scenes where the corniness can rear its head, which is a shame cause they're often sandwiched between scenes or shots that are absolutely brilliant.

Really enjoyed the film overall but boy do I wish I was in a better seat/screening.
Cilogy wrote:
January 16th, 2018, 3:51 pm
can I still watch this if I haven't seen Dunkirk?
It does spoil Dunkirk but it does provide a good parallel story. The post credits scene with Brad Pitt presenting Nazi scalps to Churchill was a big surprise.

This is a pretty awesome mashup trailer.

This film really made me sad. Not because of anything in the film, rather for seeing the person who created Anna Karenina, being forced to compromise in an attempt to find an audience.£

Master Virgo wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 7:58 pm
This film really made me sad. Not because of anything in the film, rather for seeing the person who created Anna Karenina, being forced to compromise in an attempt to find an audience.£
This must be how people felt when Mary Reilly came out.

Master Virgo wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 7:58 pm
I still have to see Anna Karenina...