Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:Yes, please do compare Hathaway, an actress who happens to have a good voice, with singers, who possibly have years of training under their belts, and had played the character on stage countless times.
I never said she should have been as good as those though. I went to details on why she is lacking in her singing skills and then brought examples of people who performed without making those mistakes. If you just have a good voice and not a great one you shouldn't go anywhere near Les Miserables. But I mean enough of me complaining. They should have cast Adams, they didn't, and now the world has lost its chance to witness a magnificent performance. It's done now.£

Master Virgo wrote:But I mean enough of me complaining. They should have cast Adams, they didn't, and now the world has lost its chance to witness a magnificent performance. It's done now.£

Lmao Hathaway made MV buttmad

ChristNolan wrote:Lmao Hathaway made MV buttmad
Lol, actually I get teary eyed every time I see her perform "I dreamed a dream". It's hard not to. As I said she did manage to bring an extensive amount of emotions to her performance and she's really likable in it. It's far from enough but still.£

I don't know if it's the same take as the one in the film, but the way she sings it in the teaser literally gives me chills every time. That teaser is one of the all time greats, imo.

I'm just glad she got the Oscar she desperately wanted. I would have been worried for her health if she did not win.

Just to point out; film singing is different than stage singing.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Just to point out; film singing is different than stage singing.
Precisely.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Just to point out; film singing is different than stage singing.
I much rather not get back to this discussion, because I'm starting to repeatedly show negativity towards something and that will surely get tiresome for others after a while, but to make things clear in case you're referring to me:

I'm quite sure I didn't say anything that contradicts such notion. Again the videos were for comparison's sake only about the issues I had with that performance and I believed to cause decline in the quality of the singing regardless of the medium. I most certainly didn't mean that those are the only ways or the minimum level of proficiency for anyone to perform that song.£

Emily Blunt in Talks to Play Mary Poppins in Disney Sequel
Emily Blunt is in talks to star in Disney’s sequel to “Mary Poppins” with Rob Marshall set to direct.

John DeLuca and Marc Platt will serve as producers. Sources say Blunt has always been the favorite since they worked together on “Into the Woods.” With Disney looking to get the film into production soon, the studio recently met with the actress to discuss the idea of playing the magical nanny.

The deal is not yet set in stone due to scheduling. News also recently broke that she is expecting her second child and that may play into her decision.

Insiders confirm the new film will take place in Depression-era London 20 years after the first film and will take story lines from P.L. Travers’ children books focusing on the magical nanny’s continued adventures with the Banks family.

The original film starred Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke in the story of a nanny who came to work for a banker’s unhappy family in pre-World War I England. The film was a huge hit, grossing $100 million at the box office, and earned five Oscars including one for Andrews as best actress.

Disney has reaped rewards recently by turning classic animated pics like “Alice in Wonderland” and “Cinderella” into live action hits, and is now turning its attention to its collection of live-action films.

Blunt has shown her range in comedies like “The Devil Wears Prada” and “Five Year Engagement,” action-heavy pics like “Sicario” and “Edge of Tomorrow” and adult dramas like the upcoming “The Girl on the Train.” Blunt can be seen next in “The Huntsman: Winter’s War.”