Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I mean, I think I saw the original versions in theatres 2 years ago because Ian McDiarmid did not portray Palpatine in that character's short scene in Empire Strikes Back in that version from what I recall.

That's pretty unheard of

Or, they screened the Despecialized editions lolll

Releasing a version of the film that the director doesn't approve of to please a group of annoying fans? Now that would be disrespectful.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 10:42 am
Releasing a version of the film that the director doesn't approve of to please a group of annoying fans? Now that would be disrespectful.
It would also be for the documentation and protection of a very important piece of cinematic history.

Master Virgo wrote:
What they should probably do is release all existing versions of these films on DVD/Blu Ray and, since they are such big believers in the free market (allegedly), then the customers get to decide which ones they buy. My bet is, a lot of 'special editions' with tons of behind-the-scenes material would start gathering dust if they were to do that, which is why we'll likely never see the original versions of these films on DVD.

I mean, I bought my Star Wars DVD set in 2005 and in that version it IS Ian McDiarmid playing Palpatine in Empire Strikes Back and Han Solo talks to weird CG Jabba on Tatooine in A New Hope. But I had no way of knowing that Lucas had tampered with his own films to a large extent, since that was the first time I had watched all the original trilogy Star Wars films. So if those versions were blasphemous I could only ever say 'I guess but I enjoy them'.

Batfan175 wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 11:46 am
Master Virgo wrote:
What they should probably do is release all existing versions of these films on DVD/Blu Ray and, since they are such big believers in the free market (allegedly), then the customers get to decide which ones they buy. My bet is, a lot of 'special editions' with tons of behind-the-scenes material would start gathering dust if they were to do that, which is why we'll likely never see the original versions of these films on DVD.

I mean, I bought my Star Wars DVD set in 2005 and in that version it IS Ian McDiarmid playing Palpatine in Empire Strikes Back and Han Solo talks to weird CG Jabba on Tatooine in A New Hope. But I had no way of knowing that Lucas had tampered with his own films to a large extent, since that was the first time I had watched all the original trilogy Star Wars films. So if those versions were blasphemous I could only ever say 'I guess but I enjoy them'.

I'm seeing this on Wednesday. Got my tickets... but am strangely lacking in any sort of hype. I loved TFA and I liked TLJ (I loved it at first but found the pace of the movie problematic upon subsequent rewatches) so I don't know why I just seem to care little about the story of Rey, Finn and Poe. Maybe it's the poor trailers. The last clip was great and it's probably the only thing that seems interesting to me out of all the trailers released thus far. What's the deal with Kylo and Palpatine? The only thing that matters since it's the only thing that seems to connect the entire saga together while the other stuff feels inconsequential to the big picture.

Here's the clip if you haven't seen it:

Would you mind to put that in a spoiler tag?

To all, post future clips/tvspots/images in spoiler tags

Kyle Buchanan @kylebuchanan
RISE OF SKYWALKER could only have been ruder to Rian Johnson if they had motion-smoothed it

Mike Ryan@mikeryan
STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is certainly the most convoluted Star Wars. There is a lot I liked, but the first half gets so bogged down with exposition and new plot and doodads and beacons and transmitters, it feels like it should have been three movies on its own.

@mikeryan
My favorite Star Wars are the ones that take their time and focus on the characters. The whole first half felt like all exposition. It does get better. And Lando rules. But there’s just so much plot it feels so rushed. And the Emperor stuff is so weird.

Gregory Ellwood - The Playlist @TheGregoryE
Um so the best thing I can say about Rise of Skywalker is that Daisy Ridley gives her best performance and for hardcore fans...ya get what you want. Wish JJ had another year to work on it. #RiseOfSkywalker
The fact this is just early twitter reactions at the premiere of all places is not a good start. Obviously the Buchanan tweet bothers me the most.Even Germain is conflicted...

Steven Weintraub@colliderfrosty
I might be in the minority on #TheRiseofSkywalker. I have a lot to say but will wait till after it has opened.
Frosty raves everything. :shock: