Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 10:32 am
Here's the question, what if Abrams does backtrack on plenty of stuff in Jedi (as highly unlikely as that would be), but still makes a better film in the process. Will that upset me? Not in the slightest.

I'll judge this by what it is, not by its predecessors. Past is in the past, that's the whole thing in Jedi.
As Matt Soller-Seitz tweeted, it's going to be hard for the film to be good, if Rey's parents happen to be strong with the force, linked with the Skywalker or Kenobi. The fact that Rey is noone, and from nowhere is one of the best idea of this trilogy, if not the best.

Pretty sure you guys are taking RLM's videos more seriously than half their audience (and probably even they) do.

There vids aren’t that serious but they’re just plain boring regardless. Some are really overlooking the fact Terrio is cowriting this however.

While I agree in general Rey's parents shouldn't be force sensitive, can you imagine the internet shitstorm ESB and ROTJ would've caused if they were released today. They went about "subverting" what we thought we knew about Luke's father only for Obi-Wan to say "a certain point of view" in ROTJ. You would've seen endless "plot hole" "Star Wars is ruined" op-eds. Not to mention Luke kissing Leia. It would've been rioting in the streets.

Rian himself has said many times there's always a "certain point of view" in Star Wars.

My guess is that Keri Russel's character knew Rey's parents somehow, and that they had good intentions and hid her to protect her on some level. We'll see.

I don't think it's very fairy to complain that JJ can't do what's predictable and yet if he does anything too shocking in ways people "don't like" that's bad too. Pick a lane or just wait to see the movie and judge it on its own terms.

-Vader

We don’t need any more explanation on her parents. Also, it kind of sounds like you’re back pedaling on your long held and firm thoughts with “I agree in general”. I would really prefer JJ not to go for unpredictability just for the sake of it.

Allstar wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 4:22 pm
We don’t need any more explanation on her parents. Also, it kind of sounds like you’re back pedaling on your long held and firm thoughts with “I agree in general”. I would really prefer JJ not to go for unpredictability just for the sake of it.
How do you know what we need before you see what they're doing?

Who Rey's parents are and how they left her isn't just unknown to the viewer, it's also (seemingly) unknown to Rey. If those answers contribute to the drama and theme of Rey's saga, they should be included. Any statement to the effect of whether or not they would, not knowing at all how this will be executed, is baseless conjecture.

And I'm not backpedaling anything. All I'm saying is entering a movie with ironclad preconceptions of what a movie can't be / needs to be is the surest way not to engage with it on its own terms. Keep an open mind.

-Vader

I agree. Perhaps “need” wasn’t the right word but I was trying to say I’m already perfectly satisfied with the explanation of Rey’s parentage. Her not fully “knowing” everything or us the audience adds to the tragedy.

Allstar wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 4:33 pm
I agree. Perhaps “need” wasn’t the right word but I was trying to say I’m already perfectly satisfied with the explanation of Rey’s parentage. Her not fully “knowing” everything or us the audience adds to the tragedy.
What you're actually saying is ambiguity of her heritage is more tragic than whatever her real heritage actually is, but because you have no idea what her heritage actually is how can you make that call?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Allstar wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 4:33 pm
What you're actually saying is ambiguity of her heritage is more tragic than whatever her real heritage actually is, but because you have no idea what her heritage actually is how can you make that call?

-Vader
Just making a guess and logical assumption based on my tastes. It’s more unique to have the ambiguity for a series like this. I’m open to being surprised.

Allstar wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 4:42 pm
Just making a guess and logical assumption based on my tastes. It’s more unique to have the ambiguity for a series like this. I’m open to being surprised.
fair, but i double dare you (and anyone else on NF) to keep as open a mind for TROS as i kept for TLJ

-Vader