Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 12:37 am
They have couple of scenes of Carrie talking about something going on in VII and they’re gonna put some IX characters around to ‘match’ it with current narrative...?
It could be a Judi Dench in Spectre thing

ArmandFancypants wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 2:52 am
m4st4 wrote:
They have couple of scenes of Carrie talking about something going on in VII and they’re gonna put some IX characters around to ‘match’ it with current narrative...?
Oh I hope so.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 2:52 am
m4st4 wrote:
Doesn't have to be.

Many scenarios where they could use existing footage for various plots. IE, opening of the movie (or in opening crawl) has Leia captured by the FO, keeps her presence felt but off-screen, and she could get rescued before sacrificing herself or some such scenario.

Lots they can do with this. I'm totally into it.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 3:28 am
Doesn't have to be.

Many scenarios where they could use existing footage for various plots. IE, opening of the movie (or in opening crawl) has Leia captured by the FO, keeps her presence felt but off-screen, and she could get rescued before sacrificing herself or some such scenario.

Lots they can do with this. I'm totally into it.

-Vader
Agreed, and a hallmark of LFL is that they stockpile unused footage for a drip release, so it isn't overly surprising that there's stuff that hasn't been used. Personally I'm just so delighted that this is the resolution to the problem, although TLJ might have been a great send off anyway.

I’m against it purely because it will never be her work for this movie. But at least it will be her, and if they do it justice (probably doing their best as always), I’ll accept it and move on.

m4st4 wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 4:21 am
I’m against it purely because it will never be her work for this movie. But at least it will be her, and if they do it justice (probably doing their best as always), I’ll accept it and move on.
Franky killing her off screen is unacceptable too. This is the most optimal choice they could have made.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 4:24 am
m4st4 wrote:
July 28th, 2018, 4:21 am
Franky killing her off screen is unacceptable too. This is the most optimal choice they could have made.

-Vader
I was actually in that ‘camp’, do it during the crawl... but you’re right. This is a lesser evil considering the situation. Now I wonder what the footage will be.

Frankly, the best piece of news in that article is confirmation of more Luke. Ghost Luke is simply a must. Perhaps they even give him couple of flashback scenes.

Mike Ryan @mikeryan
In The Force Awakens there's a big cut scene of Leia going to Hosnian Prime (later blown up by Starkiller) asking for more resources for the Resistance. I suspect this will be a big source of the unused footage for IX.
Mike Ryan @mikeryan
At the end of VIII obviously the Resistance is low on resources, so it would make sense she'd be asking for help. Also: J.J. said he cut the scene from TFA because it was more dramatic for Leia's first scene to be when Han reunites with her.

^oh ok now we already know what it'll be, so much for spoiler tags huh

Todd Fisher: “They have arranged it in the script and what was shot to bring her into the story in a way as if they filmed it yesterday. Isn’t that magical, that the things that she shot a few years ago are frozen in time, so to speak, and been reborn into the final ‘Star Wars’ where she is the character that needed to continue?” “It is not just me as a brother, I have a connection to this thing that is different but I am also a fan of the story line, but it is my sister. My sister and Princess Leia are the same thing. And the idea of that story stopping and her not carrying forward is very disturbing to me. I kept saying to people, ‘No, no, this needs to continue.’ I know I was even a little annoying to Disney. I kept saying from the brother’s perspective we would want to see Carrie continue, of course. And the fans, I think, we could even use the word demand this to carry on. It is awesome that it worked out this way and thanks to [‘Episode IX’ director] J.J. Abrams. This is going to be very magical and important to us all.” “As you know, when you make a movie there are lot of things that end up, as they say, on the cutting room floor. Outtakes — a lot of things that don’t make it into the movie sometimes. In this case, it was difficult for people to want to go back to look at every frame of footage to see what was usable or what could be used in this fashion and then to create a way to weave it into the script… it is not an easy task.” “[My sister’s daughter, actress Billie Lourd,] is really sensitive to the whole thing… obviously we want to protect Carrie… and we are sensitive to how things are done and why they are done. This is one that you have got to embrace with a big hug.” “There are things we know but can’t say [about Episode IX], My sister was in trouble every other day because she would know things and she just couldn’t keep a secret to save her life. We aren’t allowed to talk much other than that. I can stay in the area we are in but can’t give to many specifics. I was given some information about the things that were there but can’t address it… If you look at all the scenes that were in ‘The Force Awakens’ you can imagine the things that were made available.” “One of my favourite things Carrie has ever done was the last movie… Some of her best acting, and I have known her since she didn’t know anything about acting. It is remarkable. She is killing it.” (July 28, 2018)

Todd Fisher: “I couldn’t be more personally thrilled and happy that our Carrie will reprise her role as Princess Leia in the new and final ‘Star Wars Episode IX,’ using previously unreleased footage of her shot for ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As we, her family, as well as her extended family of fans around the world so believe, Carrie’s ‘Princess Leia’ is forever entrenched in the franchise and her indelible presence is fundamental to the film. J.J. Abrams understood Carrie’s iconic role, and he has masterfully re-crafted this final entry to include this unused and very last footage of Carrie ever taken, without resorting to CGI or animatronics. Our family and her fans will look forward with great anticipation for this one!” (July 28, 2018)

Todd Fisher: "J.J. [Abrams] really made [Leia in Star Wars: Episode IX] happen." "If I was in anyway an inspiration for the final decision to keep Leia a part of the story, that's great. I must say at times I felt like a voice crying in the wilderness." (July 28, 2018)