The Batman (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The fact that it was that small role played by Juno Temple makes it even more ridiculous.

Like who on god's earth would ever think, that such a nothing role has to be played specifically by a white woman.

And you know, they changed the race of Lavender Brown in Harry Potter films from black to white for the sixth film, right when the character was getting some screen time and it makes you wonder if these morons in Hollywood think black girls just can't play the roles of spoiled sort of way girls, or what the fuck is their deal exactly.

Amusingly, they actually used the word urban on the casting call sheet for extras (“Take part in the urban action adventure coming to the streets of New York City.”) that also specifies "all ethnicities" and this role was basically a glorified extra so I wouldn't be surprised if this was some weird mix-up or misunderstanding happening.

There was also this:
This isn’t the first role I’ve taken that has been colour blind cast. It’s one of many, in fact, my role in Interstellar was originally a Russian astronaut called, Romashov. After the process of meetings and auditions, it changed to Romilly.

For anyone that isn't clear, "urban" is a common euphemism for "Black". They mean that she was too Black for the role.

It's racism, is what it is.

You know, I have no love for Snyder as a filmmaker, but I respect him for the fact that he acknowledged that comic books have been historically dominated by white characters, so he cast people of color in roles written for white people.

Reeves also race swapped two characters in Gordon and Catwoman. Alt-right youtube hated that, but the movie is a rousing success, so they are crawling back to their holes.

In fact Catwoman was race swapped in Lego Batman Movie with Kravitz herself, in 2004 with Halle Berry, as well as the god damn Adam West series, being portrayed by Eartha Kitt.

That was in fucking 60s.

Even Tim "Whitexploitation" Burton gave a small screen time to Billy Dee Williams to play Harvey Dent.

Christopher Nolan came in and made three of the few poc characters in Batman comics into white European people. Ra's Al Ghul, Talia and Bane.

Am I suggesting that Nolan is viciously racist? Nope. But he was inconsiderate and ignorant to do that, and if you're fair-minded you would reach the same conclusion. Or are we blaming the casting director for that one as well?

Nolan is a traditionalist.

Master Virgo wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 4:02 am
You know, I have no love for Snyder as a filmmaker, but I respect him for the fact that he acknowledged that comic books have been historically dominated by white characters, so he cast people of color in roles written for white people.

Reeves also race swapped two characters in Gordon and Catwoman. Alt-right youtube hated that, but the movie is a rousing success, so they are crawling back to their holes.

In fact Catwoman was race swapped in Lego Batman Movie with Kravitz herself, in 2004 with Halle Berry, as well as the god damn Adam West series, being portrayed by Eartha Kitt.

That was in fucking 60s.

Even Tim "Whitexploitation" Burton gave a small screen time to Billy Dee Williams to play Harvey Dent.

Christopher Nolan came in and made three of the few poc characters in Batman comics into white European people. Ra's Al Ghul, Talia and Bane.

Am I suggesting that Nolan is viciously racist? Nope. But he was inconsiderate and ignorant to do that, and if you're fair-minded you would reach the same conclusion. Or are we blaming the casting director for that one as well?
Correct.
blackColumn wrote:
March 8th, 2022, 4:32 am
Nolan is a traditionalist.
That’s sounds like an excuse for racism. Every time.

I mean, you should have complained about this before. Where were you two? You've both been here over a decade. Lots of time to raise these concerns.

Tradition and oppression go hand in hand.