Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 4:08 pm
Bacon wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 3:50 pm
Vader182 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 3:09 pm
A relevant detail is that this is reportedly the most expensive Star Wars movie to date, coming in somewhere north of 250 million.
Wait really? But.....why?
Well, they had to basically shoot the movie twice. That should explain it.
How far were they actually into shooting before Howard took over? I don't remember...

This would’ve easily been 200 if it weren’t for reshoots. Must’ve been a logistic nightmare to think about the old sets again and I’m sure they used far more closeups than they should’ve, or planned.

Forum Pro
Law
Bacon wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 4:27 pm
Allstar wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 4:08 pm
Bacon wrote:

Well, they had to basically shoot the movie twice. That should explain it.
How far were they actually into shooting before Howard took over? I don't remember...
Either at half or a little less than I think, but he reshot everything and basically made his own movie.

Bacon wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 3:09 pm
A relevant detail is that this is reportedly the most expensive Star Wars movie to date, coming in somewhere north of 250 million.
The value of the IP exceeds the value of any particular movie. It's not so much that they were worried Solo itself would suck, they would be worried how a shitty Star Wars movie would damage the IP. For any of Kennedy's faults, she gets this. The value of consistent quality dwarfs all other considerations.

Even including Solo, Kennedy's having a legendary run of critical and box office success.

Ruth wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 3:54 pm
I want to be super excited about this but.... I can’t really. I’ll prob see this on Saturday though

post IW idk I’m just not super enthused about 2018 movies lol
I dunno.

We haven't even hit the fall festival circuit and we still have new movies from
-guadagnino
-cuaron
-greengrass
-Dan Gilroy's new thriller with Gyllenhaal
-Steve McQueen's new movie
-First Man ofc
-The Rider is supposed to rule
-Barry Jenkins' new movie
-various movies from Cannes that might get 2018 releases.
-The Old Man and the Gun by Lowery starring Redford

2017 was loaded but 2018 is doing pretty good.

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on May 24th, 2018, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m4st4 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 4:38 pm
This would’ve easily been 200 if it weren’t for reshoots. Must’ve been a logistic nightmare to think about the old sets again and I’m sure they used far more closeups than they should’ve, or planned.
That was the case and they needed a veteran like Ron to handle such a chaotic situation.

Also, L&M only had a few weeks left when they were fired.

So this winds up being fairly decent imo.

put that on the poster

do you like it more than tfa?

-Vader

ArmandFancypants wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 5:37 pm
So this winds up being fairly decent imo.
Elaborate.

@Vader, yeah I had a bit of a brain fart for a moment. now that I’m thinking about it, it’s not bad. I guess compared to 2017 which was freaking loaded (and I STILL haven’t seen some of the ‘bests’ of the year which is crazy), this seemed comparatively ‘empty’ and weird at first glance, at least for me. But with a few exceptions (not to derail the thread any further), seems like 2018 will pick up its tempo in Fall.

Forum Pro
Solo is good, I really enjoyed it.

While I think Last Jedi is a bad movie due to its terrible execution, I love what it tried to do with the mythology. That being said I think Solo is a good palette cleanser for people who didn't like Last Jedi and wanted something more traditional.

I really loved the underworld that the film presented. Hopefully, it is explored more in other anthology films. And this is easily the best shot Star Wars film since Disney bought Lucasfilm, maybe in the entire franchise. You can always tell what was reshoot in a movie (Justice Leauge, Fant4stic) but nothing stood out until the very end of the movie.

Alden Ehrenreich was pretty good in it. I had a huge problem with him being cast because he doesn't really look like Harrison Ford but my friend told me to think of it as him playing Han Solo and not as him playing Harrison Ford and that made me come around.

The movie also has possibly the coolest, vibe-y scene in any Star Wars film.