Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm getting extremely curious how the box office will shake out. While my Dolby theater in downtown Chicago is sold out for tonight, tomorrow night's screening in the burbs has 24 seats sold total in Dolby.

6 of those are mine.

In the same theater, R1 and TLJ and Marvel movie sold out at least a week if not a lot more beforehand (it wasn't built when TFA was out). I checked screenings in the city and a few local theaters and it's pretty much the same. Keegan's seeing the same around L.A. and I just saw this on twitter:

@VK_HM
6m6 minutes ago
The midnight screenings for TFA and TLJ were packed, I couldn't get a good seat for R1's so I skipped it, but Solo's were pretty wide open honestly, there's some purely speculative thoughts for you there
If tracking is right this has got to be a record for walk-ups.

-Vader

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Box Office Theory insiders are saying this could have a Justice League level opening.The international numbers are looking even worse. China is tracking for a $8M OW. There is a high possibility this makes even less than Justice League did nad winds up as one of the years biggest flops.

Mantis Toboggan wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 3:05 pm
Box Office Theory insiders are saying this could have a Justice League level opening.The international numbers are looking even worse. China is tracking for a $8M OW. There is a high possibility this makes even less than Justice League did nad winds up as one of the years biggest flops.
A relevant detail is that this is reportedly the most expensive Star Wars movie to date, coming in somewhere north of 250 million.

It's more a question of relative underperformance though. Chances this flops are low.

-Vader

US and UK numbers will be ones to watch, not surprised at all at everywhere else not really having interest. SW has always been a domestic/English-speaking territory heavy franchise

Vader182 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 3:09 pm
A relevant detail is that this is reportedly the most expensive Star Wars movie to date, coming in somewhere north of 250 million.
Wait really? But.....why?

They knew this would have a rocky start and would be an uphill battle to win people/fans over and the swap up of directors didn't help. Not to mention how divisive TLJ was among general audiences. Literally the only extremely positive buzz prior to the premieres and early reactions were people saying stuff like "well at least we know Lando will be good." (He's obviously not the only good thing in the film as reviewers have praised other cast members and such, I'm just saying that a solid amount of the buzz around the project came from his addition)

Did they think a higher budget would fix those issues or were they just negligent in thinking this would be a hit like the others were? Or am I looking too far into this? lol

I want to be super excited about this but.... I can’t really. I’ll prob see this on Saturday though

post IW idk I’m just not super enthused about 2018 movies lol

As far as movies go this year, I have several points in time that I’m excited about.

-eventually seeing Incredbles 2 in original language
-new Salander trailer
-Suspiria remake trailer
-M:I 6 premiere
-First Man trailer

That’s about it. Had my share of Star Wars excitement with TLJ and I’m good until IX.

m4st4 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 4:00 pm
As far as movies go this year, I have several points in time that I’m excited about.

-new Salander trailer
-Suspiria remake trailer
-First Man trailer

That’s about it. Had my share of Star Wars excitement with TLJ and I’m good until IX.
2018 really sucks/is going to suck when compared to 2017 in terms of movie moments to be excited for...

Bacon wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 3:50 pm
Vader182 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 3:09 pm
Wait really? But.....why?
Well, they had to basically shoot the movie twice. That should explain it.

m4st4 wrote:
May 24th, 2018, 4:00 pm

-new Salander trailer
-Suspiria remake trailer
-First Man trailer

honestly i’m just really pissed i missed my shot to see isle of dogs