Annihilation (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

A great addition to the cast.

I read the book last summer. It's a very strange story.

The narrative leaned very heavily on the main character (first person POV) so it will be interesting to see how it translates to a movie.

MagnarTheGreat wrote:I read the book last summer. It's a very strange story.

The narrative leaned very heavily on the main character (first person POV) so it will be interesting to see how it translates to a movie.
Yeah, I haven't read it but I've heard it described by just about everybody as Lovecraftian.

-Vader

Garland has said he made about a decent amount of changes for what it is worth.

Hopefully character names are one of them. I just remember them being referred to by their job titles. (Here I characterize the size of the roles in the book):
None of the roles outside of the main character were all that big either.
And even then the setting/mystery was really emphasized in the book over the idea of interesting characters I thought.

Oscar Isaac Reteams With ‘Ex Machina’ Director Alex Garland For ‘Annihilation’
One of last year’s biggest success stories in independent cinema was Alex Garland‘s sci-fi thriller Ex Machina. Not only was it A24’s highest-grossing feature yet (and a surprise Oscar winner), it featured the talents of three rising stars at the top of their game, as well as writer-turned-director who kicked off his career behind the camera in quite a promising fashion. As one might expect, it’s taken no time for him to gather support for his next feature, an adaptation of Jeff VanderMeer‘s novel Annihilation, and it looks like he’ll be reteaming with one of his Ex Machina stars.

Natalie Portman, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson and Jennifer Jason Leigh are already on board in the four main roles, featuring a group of women who embark on dangerous, secret expedition where the laws of nature don’t apply. The author of the book now updates that Oscar Isaac has joined the ensemble. With the main quartet taking the roles of an anthropologist, a surveyor, a psychologist (Leigh), and a biologist (Portman), the author confirms that Isaac will play the late husband of the biologist, who is featured in flashback-esque journals.

Panapaok wrote:Oscar Isaac Reteams With ‘Ex Machina’ Director Alex Garland For ‘Annihilation’
One of last year’s biggest success stories in independent cinema was Alex Garland‘s sci-fi thriller Ex Machina. Not only was it A24’s highest-grossing feature yet (and a surprise Oscar winner), it featured the talents of three rising stars at the top of their game, as well as writer-turned-director who kicked off his career behind the camera in quite a promising fashion. As one might expect, it’s taken no time for him to gather support for his next feature, an adaptation of Jeff VanderMeer‘s novel Annihilation, and it looks like he’ll be reteaming with one of his Ex Machina stars.

Natalie Portman, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson and Jennifer Jason Leigh are already on board in the four main roles, featuring a group of women who embark on dangerous, secret expedition where the laws of nature don’t apply. The author of the book now updates that Oscar Isaac has joined the ensemble. With the main quartet taking the roles of an anthropologist, a surveyor, a psychologist (Leigh), and a biologist (Portman), the author confirms that Isaac will play the late husband of the biologist, who is featured in flashback-esque journals.
Sweet :thumbup: