Mulan (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Like the approach and looks of it. If it's as good as Whale Rider, I'll be satisfied.

Look interesting but kinda expected they went "wushu" on this live version. I think they really need to incorporate the Disney songs to this live version or else it will just be another Chinese wuxia action/drama movie but in english.

Xana Tang looks more like the Disney Mulan than Yifei Liu herself.

Last edited by LEXX on July 7th, 2019, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don’t know what you guys are smoking... this looks fantastic! Easily best of the live-action Disney remakes, at least from a visual standpoint. Production values exceed the typical Disney movies. Just looks like a straight up fantastic remake. And I wanted the songs and the dragon, but after seeing the trailer, I really love this direction. It’s very mature and a fresh of breath air after the lackluster releases we’ve seen this year with Aladdin and Dumbo.

Instantly one of my most anticipated movies of 2020 for sure...

misho92 wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 1:46 pm
I don’t know what you guys are smoking... this looks fantastic! Easily best of the live-action Disney remakes, at least from a visual standpoint. Production values exceed the typical Disney movies. Just looks like a straight up fantastic remake. And I wanted the songs and the dragon, but after seeing the trailer, I really love this direction. It’s very mature and a fresh of breath air after the lackluster releases we’ve seen this year with Aladdin and Dumbo.

Instantly one of my most anticipated movies of 2020 for sure...
True that this seems to be more interesting then most of the other Disney remakes. I mean CTHD was a hit and capture the audiences but that was back in 2000. But my main concern is the BO in America. I mean are they that interested in these type of movie with all Asian casts? I mean if they took away the Mulan and Disney logo I think it would be just another generic nice looking wuxia movie. I think it will be a big mistake if the songs and some original stuff from the animation isn't included(Mushu) and ect or else this will look like another Chinese wuxia movie but in english spoken language. Hopefully there's some magic/mythical and fantastic aspect to the film instead of trying to be historic which will drive most audiences away(mostly kids).
Last edited by LEXX on July 7th, 2019, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinematography looks great

Looks pretty but without the musical numbers and Wushu I might as well watch actual Asian cinema golds. Need to see more.

^true true

also the lead actress looks to be promising imo

Nomis wrote:
July 7th, 2019, 4:18 pm
^true true

also the lead actress looks to be promising imo
She looks wonderful. Especially with that hairspray near the end. Everything looks perfect of course since it’s Disney. But I have faith in this. Movie is important enough for young Asian actors trying to break through but also Asian audiences across USA.

I'd like to add that this also looks rather pleasing to the eye rather than Disney's live-action previous outings

It looks better than the other remakes I guess, but doesn't hold a candle to actual wuxia films esp. the Zhang Yimou ones.