Best Films of the Decade (2010-2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
AsianVersionOfET wrote:When I finish watching a Tarantino film my demands are always met, and my expectations are almost always exceeded.
Well if you have that low of standards, sure I can see that being the case. Anyways, carry on...

lcbaseball22 wrote:
AsianVersionOfET wrote:When I finish watching a Tarantino film my demands are always met, and my expectations are almost always exceeded.
Well if you have that low of standards, sure I can see that being the case. Anyways, carry on...

lcbaseball22 wrote:
"... a young director named Quentin Tarantino ripped through theaters with a profound sense of cinema's past and an instinct for reclaiming cinema's rightful place at the head of popular culture." - Chris Nolan

Put that in your pipe and shove the pipe up your ass
;)

The Taxman wrote:No doubt that out of all the films I have seen on your list are great. Your list also informed me of a bunch of older movies tht I need to see, so thanks for that. But your flat out rejection of almost every film that has come out in the past few years (especially since you yourself said you haven't seen that many) is very narrow minded
You're welcome, I'm glad at least someone might find it useful. :D Admittedly my rejection of film in the past few years is based mainly on critic's favorites and Oscar selections I've seen but seeing as these are typically a barometer for anything not a genre film I don't think this is all that invalid or narrow minded.

I still have a handful of recent Oscar films to see but "once is chance, twice is a coincidence, three times starts to show a pattern" and I've noticed a pattern compared to even the first few years of this decade.

Likewise I've seen patterns with supposedly talented directors like Quentin Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, Terrence Malick. Even past greats like Scorsese, Spielberg, Eastwood, Scott, and aforementioned others. The only ones who really get me excited still are Nolan and Fincher. :|

lcbaseball22 wrote:Want to see some truly great films? Watch these...

Scarface (1932) - better than the Brian De Palma/Al Pacino version in every way
It Happened One Night (1934)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
You Can't Take it With You (1938)
The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Sergeant York (1941)
Ball of Fire (1941)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The Lady Eve (1941)
To Be Or Not To Be (1942)
Casablanca (1942)
The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Laura (1944)
Spellbound (1945)
The Big Sleep (1946)
Adam's Rib (1949)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Rear Window (1954)
Les Diaboliques (1955)
The Killing (1956)
Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
Touch of Evil (1958)
Vertigo (1958)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
North By Northwest (1959)
The Apartment (1960)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
Charade (1963)
The Graduate (1967)
Sleuth (1972)

BTW, I did not actually live through Hollywood's Golden Age, I'm 27 and I discovered the greatness of these classic films back during college. I've seen far more than this short list and I'm sure there are many more still to discover but the ones I've listed are ones I would consider 4 star films. If you haven't seen these (or you haven't seen hardly any pre-1970 films) do yourself a favor and check them out! 8-)

In fact I guarantee that all those films are better than the latest turd Tarantino will release this year :P
You drink your tea like this don't you?

lemme get this straight

you're arguing golden age films are superior to contemporary films

you've exhaustively watched golden age films and chosen your favourites

you've only seen a handful of contemporary oscar buzz films

Probably something likes (not really in order)
The Social Network
Inception
Toy Story 3
The King's Speech
Warrior
Hugo
We Bought a Zoo
(bite me)
The Dark Knight Rises
Life of Pi
Chronicle
Django Unchained
Looper
Wreck-It Ralph
Zero Dark Thirty
Mud
Captain Phillips
Oblivion
The World's End
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Interstellar
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Birdman
Whiplash
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

The last few pages of this thread... :lol: :lol: :lol:

lcbaseball22 wrote:Want to see some truly great films? Watch these...

Scarface (1932) - better than the Brian De Palma/Al Pacino version in every way
It Happened One Night (1934)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
You Can't Take it With You (1938)
The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Sergeant York (1941)
Ball of Fire (1941)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The Lady Eve (1941)
To Be Or Not To Be (1942)
Casablanca (1942)
The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Laura (1944)
Spellbound (1945)
The Big Sleep (1946)
Adam's Rib (1949)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Rear Window (1954)
Les Diaboliques (1955)
The Killing (1956)
Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
Touch of Evil (1958)
Vertigo (1958)
Some Like It Hot (1959)
Anatomy of a Murder (1959)
North By Northwest (1959)
The Apartment (1960)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
Charade (1963)
The Graduate (1967)
Sleuth (1972)

BTW, I did not actually live through Hollywood's Golden Age, I'm 27 and I discovered the greatness of these classic films back during college. I've seen far more than this short list and I'm sure there are many more still to discover but the ones I've listed are ones I would consider 4 star films. If you haven't seen these (or you haven't seen hardly any pre-1970 films) do yourself a favor and check them out! 8-)

In fact I guarantee that all those films are better than the latest turd Tarantino will release this year :P
I'm not saying that the people on here who haven't watched these films shouldn't watch. They should, definitely.

BUT I could make a point that your list has equally the same amount of films that vary in quality as the lists people have posted about this decade... or the previous one. Just because it's an old film, doesn't mean it's a better film. Of your list, I LOVE:
It happened One Night, The Maltese Falcon, The Philadelphia Story, Shadow of a Doubt, A Strretcar Named Desire, Strangers on a Train, Rear WIndow, Witness for the Prosecution, Touch of Evil, North by Northwest, The Graduate.

I would even add some others like Kansas City Confidential or The Third Man but... some of those films are equally dissapointing as films from this decade. And these are supposedly THE BEST films out of so many decades. Do you have any idea what great of a list I could come up with if I took ONLY the best films from the 80's till now!?

I never really cared for Vertigo or The Killing or The Big Sleep or Charade... or even To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm sure they were great for its time... but I don't see it holding up now. So there are always films that other people like and you will be dissapointed with. But that doesn't change the overall quality of that period. It was a good period of cinema... but so is this one. Even if you didn't like some films.

And if you could stop sounding pretentious and acting like people who enjoy modern cinema don't watch older films that be great. Just because you got all hipster in college, doesn't mean you have some magic insight :P

Please stay on topic beyond this post yo