The Free State of Jones (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Set during the Civil War, THE FREE STATE OF JONES tells the story of defiant Southern farmer, Newt Knight, and his extraordinary armed rebellion against the Confederacy. Opposed to both slavery and secession, Knight launched an uprising of poor white farmers that led Jones County, Mississippi to itself secede from the Confederacy, creating a "Free State of Jones." His relationship and post-war marriage to a former slave, Rachel Knight, effectively established the region's first mixed-race community. Knight, continued his fight into the post war period, resisting Klan activity through Reconstruction. His legendary rebellion distinguished Newt Knight as a compelling, if controversial, figure of defiance long beyond the War.
The Film Stage @TheFilmStage
The Matthew McConaughey-led Civil War drama 'Free State of Jones' opens on March 11th, 2016.

Strange release date...

Yeah, the release date is odd. I figured that they would release it closer to awards season.

Despite being ambivalent about his last two films, the quality of Pleasantville's first two acts leaves me curious about what Ross can do. Or maybe that was it.

McConaughey + Civil War era = I'm sold.

Also wouldn't be surprised if that release date changed.

DoubleD wrote:McConaughey + Gugu Mbatha-Raw + Civil War era = I'm sold.
Agreed.

DoubleD wrote:Image

That was exactly what I thought of.

DoubleD wrote:Image
Damn, McC is on roll. The range of his recent projects and roles is delicious, he is getting new LeoD. Bale and Fassy need to take notes....