Ready Player One (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Now wait a minute, director of RP1 speaks positively about RP1? No way.

Loved this movie so much. Made me feel like a kid watching movie magic in the theater. Idk why it hit me like that, but it brought me back.

I was just about to buy my ticket only to be told that the IMAX theater had stopped working.

Regular 3D screening it is then. I'm not happy.

How are the VFX btw, did they nail it?

Nomis wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 8:16 am
Ranges from solid to outstanding, combined with often inventive production design in certain areas (both CGI and practical). One particular scene was inspired by Saturday Night Fever and it's a combo of that and opera scene from ROTS (surely deliberate). As for the characters, 'cameos' are just forgettable in my opinion, 100% CGI backdrops, a facade. But protagonists all look pretty cool and, even though you're aware they're CGI and the point of RP1 is this heightened reality right from the start, what they completely eliminated is the uncanny valley effect. Thanks to papa Jim and his facial mo-cap, but still it's always a tough goal to accomplish and you will most likely connect with the lead guy and his cyberpunk love.

This is bullshit.
Also, the whole Shining sequence is spoof territory.
Retire. We don't need your West Side Story remake or Indiana Jones 5.
Last edited by Master Virgo on April 3rd, 2018, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler

Well I quite enjoyed it and
thought The Shining sequence was dope.
Olivia Cooke was MVP for me, really loved her character.

B+ seems like a fair score.

more like rental player one with all these mixed to positive reviews amirite

m4st4 wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 8:52 am
Nomis wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 8:16 am
Ranges from solid to outstanding, combined with often inventive production design in certain areas (both CGI and practical). One particular scene was inspired by Saturday Night Fever and it's a combo of that and opera scene from ROTS (surely deliberate). As for the characters, 'cameos' are just forgettable in my opinion, 100% CGI backdrops, a facade. But protagonists all look pretty cool and, even though you're aware they're CGI and the point of RP1 is this heightened reality right from the start, what they completely eliminated is the uncanny valley effect. Thanks to papa Jim and his facial mo-cap, but still it's always a tough goal to accomplish and you will most likely connect with the lead guy and his cyberpunk love.
Well its good to hear there's no uncanny valley anymore.

Mark Kermode on Ready Player One:

"I loved it, I thought it was really really good."

Yup.