Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan175 wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 2:24 pm
Lol, just keep belittling me. It just confirms that I'm right about my points and that there is no way to counter my criticism because Marvel has not actually done anything in 20 films that would refute what I'm saying.
Groot dies in Guardians and Quicksilver in Age of Ultron you dunce.

And why does the Dark Knight even matter in this context? Those two are very different comic book 'universes' with vastly different approaches towards just about anything. Why does Marvel have to follow something they never intended to in the first place?

At this point they've established themselves the way they are and it WORKS, and not just because a large chunk of the world has convinced themselves they're good, although I'm certain the idea of everyone being soOo sTuPiD and brainless is appealing to some. It works for so many reasons, all of which have already been discussed numerous times, no one is stupid to just keep paying money over 20 times for bullshit, regardless of what you believe.

At this point it's clear it's just not for you. If you, however, still keep seeing these movies and "expecting your mind to be changed" or whatever and then still end up whining, then maybe. Maybe that's your problem. Some human being said people are stupid if they keep repeating the same action while expecting a different outcome, and I guess maybe that's true after all.

Movie criticism doesn't just consist of continuous shitting and whining over a movie franchise with an already established baseline, and dumbing down entire audiences just because said movies aren't what you wanted them to be.

Allstar wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Groot dies in Guardians and Quicksilver in Age of Ultron you dunce.
And from the way I read that ending Baby Groot was just the same character reborn and nothing in the script for the sequel said anything else as far as I can remember. As for Quicksilver, I can barely remember his personality because he had none and it was an artifical way to insert drama into a film that was lacking any because all the Avengers did was beat up a bunch of lifeless robots and they killed versions of Ultron like 5 times during the climax. Killing a tertiary character you just introduced in that film and expect me to be emotionally devastated when he dies is not going to work.
Ruth wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 3:50 pm
And why does the Dark Knight even matter in this context? Those two are very different comic book 'universes' with vastly different approaches towards just about anything. Why does Marvel have to follow something they never intended to in the first place?
I was being told that death seemingly does not matter in comicbooks and hence the implication was that I should not be surprised by its lack of impact in comicbook movies. I gave an example of a very popular comicbook movie that did manage to give the deaths of the characters the emotional weight they needed. I could have used
Rachel Dawes
as an example from that series as well. The MCU do not have to follow anything but one approach is effective and the other isn't as far as being emotionally impactful.
Ruth wrote:
At this point they've established themselves the way they are and it WORKS, and not just because a large chunk of the world has convinced themselves they're good, although I'm certain the idea of everyone being soOo sTuPiD and brainless is appealing to some. It works for so many reasons, all of which have already been discussed numerous times, no one is stupid to just keep paying money over 20 times for bullshit, regardless of what you believe.
I don't think I have said that people were stupid or brainless. You do not have to be either one of those things to accept mediocrities.
I am saying that it's easier to convince yourself that you had a good time when this is all that big studios are willing to give to you than admit that you might have had a better experience spending your money on something else. It is easier to rationalize sometimes egregious flaws in a film than admit that you have seen a thing similar to this 20 times already with bland music, ugly colour palettesn mediocre acting and questionable writing when you could be asking for more.
I am perfectly happy to leave people enjoy their McDonald's meals but if that's all they're being given to eat, at one point I would feel like I should maybe point out that there are quality restaurants in the area that prepare good quality food that tastes fine and is healthy on top of everthing else.
Ruth wrote:
At this point it's clear it's just not for you. If you, however, still keep seeing these movies and "expecting your mind to be changed" or whatever and then still end up whining, then maybe. Maybe that's your problem. Some human being said people are stupid if they keep repeating the same action while expecting a different outcome, and I guess maybe that's true after all.
It's not that it's not for me, it's that I have serious qualms about its quality
(from the bland, forgettable music to the ugly colour palette, to the at best average acting, the constant witticisms that undermine the drama and the obvious corporate control over the entire thing). Were this a tv show where the showrunner is king and the director is just hired for a single episode, I would definitely care less. But I have huge issues with how these theatrical releases are being addressed by both film critics and mainstream film audiences, many of which seemingly agreed that, since there is not going to be anything else in terms of blockbusters (because the studios are only making this kind of stuff anymore), that this is going to be the standard for blockbusters and to that I say: no, there was and is better stuff out there, and we should demand more and raise our quality standards. It's not good enough and it takes up too much space in film culture for me to just leave it be.
If that means I am going to be repeating myself forever then that is my business and I do it because I care, not to make people mad, although that can be an unfortunate consequence of the way I express my complaints.
Ruth wrote:
Movie criticism doesn't just consist of continuous shitting and whining over a movie franchise with an already established baseline, and dumbing down entire audiences just because said movies aren't what you wanted them to be.
I agree. I do not think I was dumbing down audiences. Whining and shitting on things would be if I didn't have a point. The thing is, this series gives me lots of occasions to be very critical of the filmmaking and since they are at the forefront of popular culture, people should expect people like me to be very critical of them. To me, it is a matter of quality standards because nothing else has as big an impact on popular culture. Where we disagree is that this franchise's baseline is an example of good quality filmmaking. Lots of people watch them but that alone is not an indicator of anything. Lots of people have also made points similar to mine, albeit maybe with less passion.

Thread lock please. For a week at least.

m4st4 wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 6:44 pm
Thread lock please. For a week at least.
Tbh I'd do it if it was up to me.

I'll say batfan never resorts to petty name calling and is usually respectful towards other members, which is admirable and I appreciate that. It's just that I could swear I've had this discussion myself numerous times and rarely anything ever comes out of it. Even if there's a compromise of sorts, a week or two passes and it's the same thing all over again. I'm kind of just tired lol. Imo IT IS a matter of taste here. And I'm kind of just leaving it at that here.

HOLY SHITTTTT!!!!

Tix pre-ordered tonight for IMAX 3D. :ugeek: :geek: :judge:

Ruth wrote:
March 17th, 2018, 7:09 pm
Tbh I'd do it if it was up to me.

I'll say batfan never resorts to petty name calling and is usually respectful towards other members, which is admirable and I appreciate that. It's just that I could swear I've had this discussion myself numerous times and rarely anything ever comes out of it. Even if there's a compromise of sorts, a week or two passes and it's the same thing all over again. I'm kind of just tired lol. Imo IT IS a matter of taste here. And I'm kind of just leaving it at that here.
I'm sorry, I want to apologize for letting it get this far yet again. I realise that we had this kind of discussion on different occasions and every time I start talking about one small thing and somehow it turns into a big discussion about my larger problems with the MCU that is repetitive to most of you here anyway. I fear that I tend to overemphasise my points because I don't see the industry changing in a way that addresses my concerns, which makes the discussion tiring for me as well every time I engage in it. It's not a fun discussion for me to have and I don't think I will engage in this sort of debate again. You all know where I stand on this entire thing at this stage. Let's leave it at that.

Allstar wrote:
March 18th, 2018, 1:20 am

HOLY SHITTTTT!!!!

Tix pre-ordered tonight for IMAX 3D. :ugeek: :geek: :judge:
:thumbup: Going Wednesday, March 25th!

Edit:^ Sorry, that was April 25th lol.

lmao: